• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BBC Superbowl coverage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BBC Superbowl coverage

I've never watched it but have been tempted, and noticed it's on tomorrow night on the BBC. However I was wondering, do the BBC show a feed from US TV with all the adverts and so on? If not, what do they do during all the advert breaks? What what I've heard, the adverts are these days a key part of the atmosphere of watching the game.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    What what I've heard, the adverts are these days a key part of the atmosphere of watching the game.
    Wrong.

Cheerleaders are.

And this year there are none.

Comment

And why should the BBC be paying to broadcast this foreign event?

It's not even a sport we play, FFS.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

I don't care but they are. I'm a license payer and I'm interested in it. Can we stay on topic?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The BBC aren't allowed to show adverts within the UK, as everything they transmit here is broadcast under the terms of their public service remit, paid for by the licence fee.

During the gaps the US broadcaster provides for commercial broadcasters, they'll have some talking heads (either here or there, probably there nowadays) providing interstitial drivel about the subject under discussion - something to do with soup in this case, judging by the thread title. (Is it International Masterchef but they only make the starter?)

In olden times - about twenty years ago - they'd cut back to a studio in London on such occasions, but these days they tend to have said heads in a location where they don't encounter that embarrassing speed-of-light delay.

It's the same thing as when the Beeb had the rights to show the Oscars here; Barry Norman and such would witter to no great purpose for a few minutes now and again. (I think Murdoch bought the Oscars a few years ago, so those who give a tulip now have to pay for the privilege and watch adverts.)

Comment

What what I've heard, the adverts are these days a key part of the atmosphere of watching the game.
            I believe that was true for one minute of one commercial break in one year: 1984. Since then, not so much

⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧ ⇧
            Wot all adverts should be like, like

Comment

I've never watched it but have been tempted, and noticed it's on tomorrow night on the BBC. However I was wondering, do the BBC show a feed from US TV with all the adverts and so on? If not, what do they do during all the advert breaks? What what I've heard, the adverts are these days a key part of the atmosphere of watching the game.
              It sounds like you are unprepared for how colossally well resourced the National Football League (NFL) is.

I don't think that the BBC will be simply relaying the coverage that will be shown on the Fox network (I think it is them this year) in the US. The NFL is sending coverage of its flagship event around the world and it provides talking heads to talk about the game between plays for those TV networks that are not cutting to adverts or are unable to provide sufficiently well-informed pundits.

The nature of the game means that it is a continual stop/start series of set pieces with breaks in between so any broadcaster that shows live games regularly is prepared to accommodate that.

Sky Sports in the UK show live games every week during the season and their own broadcast team can handle the breaks (actually Channel 5 could too for the games that they broadcast). Whether the BBC is geared up for this I don't know. I am told that there is a bit more coverage of the sport on the BBC now than there used to be, so maybe.
              Last edited by Gonzo; 6 February 2011, 05:05. Reason: Grammar

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post

Actually, for the past four seasons the NFL has scheduled one regular season game at Wembley Stadium.

They have all been sell-outs and there is talk of adding a second game per year in the future.

Before this, the NFL sponsored an NFL Europe league made up of local teams but have changed strategy by taking 'the real thing' abroad.

Comment

OK. It looks like the BBC are going to cover the breaks in play themselves.

They have Mike Carlson in the studio (along with Jake Humphrey and Tiki Barber) and he has been explaining the sport to bewildered British people for years.

It looks like the BBC coverage will be better than the generic NFL feed that I am going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
                    ...bewildered British people...
                    people wondering when the testcard will come back on

P.S. Anybody know why admin's disabled embedded images? Did I miss something I oughtn't to have seen?

Ah, could it be that I disabled them at ClientCorp?
                    Last edited by NickFitz; 6 February 2011, 15:23.

Comment

Working...
                    X