• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A bit of Nastiness at work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of Nastiness at work

I was thinking last night about something that happened about fifteen years ago, back when I was a permie business analyst.

It was a big service organosation, with about 2k engineers and other staff , and there were the usual cycles of redundancies, so everyone was always on edge. especially the engineers.

There was a blonde bombshell secretary type, who, like everyone is, was fond of a bit of gossip. who's sh@gging who, who is in line for promotion, who is in trouble, what happening in Corrie etc.

One day the conversation turned to a particular engineer, who was a nice bloke. She made some disparaging comments about his work performance, how he always did a half baked job, how he always left a mess for the next guy to clean up and how much he deserved to be next out of the door. She had obviously picked this ip from talking to some of the other guys.

Well, the girls from work control leapt to his defence. Then the work control team leader waded in, and it got extremely heated, she was spitting bullets.

'What do YOU know about engineering. You are passing on gossip that could lead to this guy losing his job. He is actually a good worker, but YOU would have him out on his ear, no more holidays for his kids, lose his company vehicle, lose his home then possibly his wife. Pension, self esteem and who knows what else. So In future KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT'

She crawled into her shell, crying and never came out of it really

I learned a lesson that day

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Wow!

You learned a lesson that day.

Big up to you EO. Takes a brave person to admit to have had a sex change. Are you still blond? How did the army take it?How did those around you take it? How did you get into IT from being a secretary.

Brave.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      I was thinking last night about something that happened about fifteen years ago, back when I was a permie business analyst.

It was a big service organosation, with about 2k engineers and other staff , and there were the usual cycles of redundancies, so everyone was always on edge. especially the engineers.

There was a blonde bombshell secretary type, who, like everyone is, was fond of a bit of gossip. who's sh@gging who, who is in line for promotion, who is in trouble, what happening in Corrie etc.

One day the conversation turned to a particular engineer, who was a nice bloke. She made some disparaging comments about his work performance, how he always did a half baked job, how he always left a mess for the next guy to clean up and how much he deserved to be next out of the door. She had obviously picked this ip from talking to some of the other guys.

Well, the girls from work control leapt to his defence. Then the work control team leader waded in, and it got extremely heated, she was spitting bullets.

'What do YOU know about engineering. You are passing on gossip that could lead to this guy losing his job. He is actually a good worker, but YOU would have him out on his ear, no more holidays for his kids, lose his company vehicle, lose his home then possibly his wife. Pension, self esteem and who knows what else. So In future KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT'

nice story.....

Comment

I sometimes see myself having to train up people on this site to handle this type of treatment

Scary scary, scary feet.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Wow!

You learned a lesson that day.

Big up to you EO. Takes a brave person to admit to have had a sex change. Are you still blond? How did the army take it?How did those around you take it? How did you get into IT from being a secretary.

Brave.
          <clint eastwood>
          you're gonna be awfully uncomfortable with that sledge stuck up your ass
          <clint eastwood>

(\__/)
          (>'.'<)

Comment

<clint eastwood>
            <clint eastwood>
            (but if there was a "Malformed XML smiley" I'd use it at this point)

<clint-eastwood>
            </clint-eastwood>

Element names can't contain spaces, and it needed a closing tag. There's nothing funny about malformed joke XML.

hth
            tl

Comment

What did you learn?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

If cannot say something nice about someone, then do not say anything at all.
                Growing old is mandatory
                Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post

What did you learn?
                  I learned that an idle word can cost a man everything. Treating people with fairness and respect does not mean when you are with them, it means when they are not present.

treating people with fairness and respect when they are in front of you, and gossiping behind their back makes you a slimey scum sucking snide.

treating people with harshness when they are in front of you, and fairness and respect behind their back makes you hard but fair. a taskmaster

treating people with fairness and respect when they are in front of you, and fairness and respect behind their back makes you a top bloke. thats integrity.

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
                    If cannot say something nice about someone, then do not say anything at all.
                    Thumper, is that you?

The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X