• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IoD - "scrap public sector union rights"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IoD - "scrap public sector union rights"

BBC News - 'Axe' public sector union rights, say business leaders

Business organisation the Institute of Directors (IoD) has called for collective bargaining to be scrapped for teachers and NHS staff.

They are among a set of proposals the trades unions have described as a "Thatcherite fantasy world".

The IoD put a series of recommendations to government to cut red tape and boost private sector growth.

It also wants an automatic right to ask for flexible working to be removed, in order to increase productivity.

The IoD has put forward 24 "freebie" proposals, which it says would cost the government nothing but would benefit growth, particularly in the private sector.
    How about they leave the NHS and teachers alone and just scrap Bob Crowe and the RMT?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Indeed. NHS and teaching unions are among the least militant, although one issue that needs to be addressed is the extreme difficulty in getting rid of bad teachers.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Private firms that are too big become monopolies and therefore needs to be controlled or broken up, same should happen with unions - they are too powerful.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Private firms that are too big become monopolies and therefore needs to be controlled or broken up...
        What nonsense.
        You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
          What nonsense.
          Why is it nonsense?
          Hard Brexit now!
          #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLabel View Post
            What nonsense.
            Not from AtW shirley?

Comment

What have public sector unions got to do with the IoD?

The public sector 'Directors' (yeah, right, typically over-promoted incompetent managers) I have worked with have, on the whole, but utterly inept, back-stabbing, political, ladder-climbers who would not recognise a day's work if it jumped up and bit them on the arse. Very long hours, but bugger all relevant activity.
              My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                What have public sector unions got to do with the IoD?
                Unions in public sector prevent private companies from being able to offer services paid by taxpayers.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Private firms that are too big become monopolies and therefore needs to be controlled or broken up, same should happen with unions - they are too powerful.
                  I think there's a conundrum here. If they are too powerful, then they can't be broken up because the government will 'lose' in the show down. If they can be broken up, then they are not too powerful. A bit trite perhaps but I like its neatness and will stick with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                    How about they leave the NHS and teachers alone and just scrap Bob Crowe and the RMT?
                    Are you kidding? He is their secret weapon come the next Election!!
                    “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Working...
                    X