• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Budapest

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Budapest

Planning on spending a few days there in May (it's my first anniversary and I wanted to go somewhere me or the Mrs haven't been to before).

Any tips on where to go, what to do, where to eat etc. Not really into the really "toursity" stuff so I was hoping for a bit of unbiased advice.....

Staying on the Buda side of the river, near the castle district.

Cheers

This place is amazing:
    Rick Steves' Europe: Budapest’s House of Terror

Although might not be conducive towards any sexy time later that evening
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Beautiful place so very good choice. I can't recommend the Széchenyi Spa enough. It's huge!!

13 odd pools, all different temperatures, the outdoor ones are red hot and there is even hotter inside with a freezing cold plunge pool next to it. We went in Feb and were quite happy sitting in the hot pools outside. There is a swimming pool, swirly thing you sit in and it spins you round.

here is a webpage on it but it doesn't do it justice. Do more searches.

széchenyi spa | budapest index: sights, cafes, clubs, spas, shopping, transport, more.

Try avoid a trip down the Danube on a boat though, might be your thing if you like looking at stuff but it can be a tad dull. See the parliment and famous bridges though I guess but couldn't wait to get off halfway through.

Go have a look at the shoes on the side of the Danube. It is a holocaust memorial so maybe not very romantic but very interesting.

Shoes on the Danube Promenade - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Drinking wise there is like a back ally that has been covered with a number of bars inside which is really cool but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called I am afraid. Not much help I know but most people knew where it was when we asked. It's ther other side to the castle though, short walk from the Astoria hotel.

Hope that helps

Oh yeah and if you are busting a nut to go watch some sport go see the Budapest Exiles ex pat team. We beat them hands down while we were there but by god they know how to drink afterwards
      Last edited by northernladuk; 7 February 2011, 16:14.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Images | Memento Park Budapest - a kommunista diktatra gigantikus emlkei

Take the local bus for about 50p
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

If you enjoy Hungarian wine try this place Klassz , they offer a lot of taster glasses (10cl) for very little so you can work your way through the various wines.

If you like fine dining then Kogart is a nice place again the sommelier is very passionate about Hungarian wines.
          "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

I used to work there quite a bit at the turn of the century. Was quite fun. Probably all changed now but my highlights were:

Sechenyi - as above.
            Castle Buda caves. There used to be rave parties in there every month, but the tour is good too.
            St Peter's gnarled hand
            City Park
            Listz Ferenc Ter (square)

Restaurant Fausto
            Leroy's Beach Hut
            Belgian Bar on Buda Side
            Most of the tourist crap round Vaci Utca is entirely missable.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Oo, forgot the wine - try some Tokaji Aszu, it's tasty.
              ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Thanks for all the tips folks!

I've booked the Art'otel on the riverside for 3 nights. It was one of the top secret deals on Lastminute where you don't know the hotel until you actually confirm the booking - took a risk and it looks like it paid off.

Got a cracking deal, 3 nights and flights from Manchester for £380 for the two of us!!

Hope the other half enjoys it.....

Comment

Working...
                X