• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Euros sitting in account. What to do

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euros sitting in account. What to do

From my time overseas in Germany I have accumulated some euros that are currently looking for a new home were they can make some extra income by interest.

I was thinking about transferring it back to the UK but the current exchange rate is not too appealing. I don't mind leaving the money where it is as long as it makes some sort of profit.

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do with or where i can invest this money?

I will look after them for you.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
      Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do with or where i can invest this money?
      I did a gig in Dublin, Ireland a couple of years ago and ended up with a few Euro's in a bank account there. At the time, I was getting about 69p a Euro and couldn't see (I'm not a financial whizz BTW) anything happening in the future to make the Euro differ greatly in value.....so I paid 7% (yeah, I know it was an expensive and daft thing to do) to have my Irish bank write a GBP cheque to deposit in my UK account upon my return.

If I'd have kept the money in Ireland, I'd have been a wealthier man!!

So, I guess I'm saying that if you think the € will appreciate in value against the £ over the next few months / years, keep your money in Germany. If you feel the £ is going to recover and the € plummet, then bring cash back to UK.

Just my penny-worth, but from what I'm hearing, Euroland isn't having the best of times and there is a fear that if Spain goes the way of Greece, then the € is doomed and could theoretically plummet in value....of course, I suppose if Spain recovers, then the € will soar like an eagle (or some other soaring analogous animal).
      And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Surely the euro wil remain intact purely by the fact of the number of countries using this currency. Even if germany decide to pull out, imagine the number of germans that would be affected by this. So what would also happen to their money?

(Their must be some sort of guarantee like the UK banks provide).

Comment

See how they are both doing vs the USD and you can get an idea of which one is stronger and if either of them are in any longer term trend.

Instead of keeping it in currency can you invest in Euro bonds/fund/shares?
          "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by manclarky View Post
            I did a gig in Dublin, Ireland a couple of years ago and ended up with a few Euro's in a bank account there. At the time, I was getting about 69p a Euro and couldn't see (I'm not a financial whizz BTW) anything happening in the future to make the Euro differ greatly in value.....so I paid 7% (yeah, I know it was an expensive and daft thing to do) to have my Irish bank write a GBP cheque to deposit in my UK account upon my return.

If I'd have kept the money in Ireland, I'd have been a wealthier man!!

So, I guess I'm saying that if you think the € will appreciate in value against the £ over the next few months / years, keep your money in Germany. If you feel the £ is going to recover and the € plummet, then bring cash back to UK.

Just my penny-worth, but from what I'm hearing, Euroland isn't having the best of times and there is a fear that if Spain goes the way of Greece, then the € is doomed and could theoretically plummet in value....of course, I suppose if Spain recovers, then the € will soar like an eagle (or some other soaring analogous animal).
            Spain will not recover anytime soon.
            The president has not real power to force reforms.
            They are doomed.
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by Slumdog View Post
              (Their must be some sort of guarantee like the UK banks provide).
              I didn't say the € would fail, just that there are countries like Spain / Portugal / Ireland / Greece pulling the value of it down.
              Yes, Germany and France are solid, stable countries (by comparison) but they have lumped their lot in with the PIGS and the internation currency speculators value the whole.

If (figuratively) Germany is worth 10 and France 8, but Spain -3, Portugal -5, Ireland -7 and Greece -9 the total would be -6. Simplistic I appreciate, but just getting the point across that regardless of the relative strength of Germany, by being associated with the "less-stable" countries of Euroland the Euro as a whole could come down.

Course, comparitivly it may still be better value than the £, what do I know.....!!

Perhaps you could open a Yen account and transfer your cash there?? Or Brazil / India or any other surging economy hoping to benefit from a strengthening currency....!

Or, you could do what I did and just transfer it to UK Plc and carry on regardless.
              And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Working...
              X