• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Daft Olympic legacy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daft Olympic legacy

Because the 2012 GB Olympic Committee had no foresight when they got all dewy-eyed about Olympic legacy (take a bow Seb Coe, Tessa Jowell and Ken Livingstone), we'll be left with one of:
    1. A white elephant athletics venue, hardly used
    2. West Ham playing in a half-empty stadium with the worst views of the pitch in the country
    3. Spurs playing in West Ham's manor having knocked the bloody thing down and started again

Which would be the most sensible option?
    West Ham use it, as it is
    31.58%
    Stratford Hotspurs use it, after rebuild
    15.79%
    Neither, and athletics keep it as a white elephant
    15.79%
    Andyw is much missed on this forum
    36.84%

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
    Because the 2012 GB Olympic Committee had no foresight when they got all dewy-eyed about Olympic legacy (take a bow Seb Coe, Tessa Jowell and Ken Livingstone), we'll be left with one of:
    2. West Ham playing in a half-empty stadium with the worst views of the pitch in the country
    3. Spurs playing in West Ham's manor having knocked the bloody thing down and started again
    It was all so predictable. I remember being on a train when the driver announced the 'good' news that London had beaten Paris for the 2012 games, and the fools in the carraige all cheered with delight.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Which would be the most sensible option?
      No one, and I do mean no one from the spurs fans wants this. Let Wet Spam have it.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

As a Spurs fan, West Ham should have it. Spurs have a better plan for a new stadium.
        Beer
        is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
        Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by Coalman View Post
          As a Spurs fan, West Ham should have it. Spurs have a better plan for a new stadium.
          True they do, but they've been priced out of it by Harringay council and the owners of various hostage strips of land. (is that the right term?)

Comment

Hold more major athletics meetings to bring in more revenue. Get kids doing athletics at school to fight obesity and lay the foundation of future sporting success. Stop Labour's practise of overtaxing top foreign sportspeople so that top athletes might actually come and run in London more often.

Just a couple of ideas, but then I'm biased as I like athletics.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Hold more major athletics meetings to bring in more revenue. Get kids doing athletics at school to fight obesity and lay the foundation of future sporting success. Stop Labour's practise of overtaxing top foreign sportspeople so that top athletes might actually come and run in London more often.

Just a couple of ideas, but then I'm biased as I like athletics.
              The spammers did an article in the current bun talking this up in this way. They even had a convincing argument as to how they could still fill the stadium if they were relegated.
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

They should knock the thing down now and tell someone else to host the olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  The spammers did an article in the current bun talking this up in this way. They even had a convincing argument as to how they could still fill the stadium if they were relegated.
                  Serious; a good athletics facility can benefit many other sports; in any game that involves running or jumping, if you've done athletics in your youth, you have an advantage. Even many adult sportspeople can gain from athletics training; many footballers, cricketers and rugby players have quick legs but run very clumsily, and a bit of training with sprinters would give them more speed, which can't be a bad thing.

I think really the various sports clubs and associations should get together and work out a plan of how to get the best out of the facilities for all sports, but that's probably hopelessly idealistic.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    Serious; a good athletics facility can benefit many other sports; in any game that involves running or jumping, if you've done athletics in your youth, you have an advantage. Even many adult sportspeople can gain from athletics training; many footballers, cricketers and rugby players have quick legs but run very clumsily, and a bit of training with sprinters would give them more speed, which can't be a bad thing.

I think really the various sports clubs and associations should get together and work out a plan of how to get the best out of the facilities for all sports, but that's probably hopelessly idealistic.
                    Absolutely true, however we're talking about the UK here.

The site will be vandalised to hell, ludicrously expensive to use, only open at times when it's p1ssing it down/snowing/blowing a gale, transport links won't work, cost a fortune for spectators to enter and odds are it will be built upside down anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X