• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Be careful what you tweet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Be careful what you tweet

BBC News - 'Twitter messages not private' rules PCC

Material that is published on Twitter should be considered public and can be published, the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) has ruled.
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

She complained that this information was private and was only meant to be seen by her 700 followers.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

It also agreed with the newspapers' argument that Twitter was publicly accessible and that the complainant had not taken steps to restrict access to her messages and was not publishing material anonymously.

As a result, the Commission ruled that the articles did not constitute a breach of privacy.
      Seems a perfectly reasonable view.

Comment

I would have thought that's pretty straightforward. Twitter's public anyway, unless you do the "lock" thingy.
        She complained that this information was private and was only meant to be seen by her 700 followers.
        ...and anyone who can type http://twitter.com/Baskers into an address bar of course.
        Pillow talk, really

Comment

Why is this surprising? It's what it's designed for, isn't it?

You (well not you obviously) decide to publish a comment on a site designed for people to read these comments and re-publish with your name attached and complain when people read/quote you.

Seems the whole point of it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
            I would have thought that's pretty straightforward. Twitter's public anyway, unless you do the "lock" thingy.

...and anyone who can type Sarah Baskerville (Baskers) on Twitter into an address bar of course.
            Pillow talk, really
            I pity the poor journalists who trolled through that turgid crap. ( Well, not really, given the crap they usually produce )
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If she wanted to restrict the visibility of her tweets to people she approved, she could have done so. It's a perfectly obvious option both when you sign up and when you look at your account settings. She made everything publicly visible, so she can hardly complain if it's made public

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                I pity the poor journalists who trolled through that turgid crap. ( Well, not really, given the crap they usually produce )
                I don't - turgid crap's too good for 'em!
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I pity the poor journalists who trolled through that turgid crap.
                  And how's about the 1884 people subscribing to it? Are they all pissed too?

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    Yeah, that was funny. Doesn't get the point. Though, could twitter itself restrict the publication by means of T&Cs?
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X