• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bank bosses "livid" about additional levy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank bosses "livid" about additional levy

Bank bosses furious about additional levy

the chief executives of HSBC, Barclays, Royal Bank of Scotland and Lloyds will have a conference call this afternoon, to decide whether to press ahead with Project Merlin, the lending and bonuses deal under discussion with ministers, or whether to "throw their toys out of the pram" (in the words of a banker).
    They'll just pass it on to the customer anyhow - what's all the fuss about?
    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

I particularly like this bit:

A senior banker said "this feels a bit like the last soldier killed before the armistice - if there is an armistice."

Comment

Mash on the ball again.
      The Daily Mash - We spend £2.5bn getting our balls fluffed, say bank chiefs
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        That's a good one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
          They'll just pass it on to the customer anyhow - what's all the fuss about?
          The fuss is about them having to pass it on next year so that current tax would depress their otherwise fat bonuses...

Comment

When I read about this kind of thing, my gut instinct is to say 'set fire to the bastards'. Then I stop for a moment, think about my feelings and try to rationalise my thoughts to provide a more constructive suggestion as to how to deal with this kind of issue. Line the bastards up on top of Canary Wharf and push them off one by one.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
              what's all the fuss about?
              Absolutely. As they've been saying, they're easily able to move to a more favourable country at the drop of a hat. All talk, no walk?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
                Absolutely. As they've been saying, they're easily able to move to a more favourable country at the drop of a hat. All talk, no walk?
                They might just find a shortage of customers in other countries who are willing to put up with extortionate bank charges and dodgy business practices.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Its silly slagging off all the banks.
                  The ones that got taxpayers money should pay it back at the usurious rates of interest they would normally charge.
                  After that, regulation should be put into place maybe splitting off the constructive banking from the more speculative type, so they can't ahrm the economy again.
                  And after that, they are private companies so leave them the fook alone.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

These banks will shortly be leaving town anyhow. China and the rise of the Asian economies will almost surely make it far more profitable to be there. I say let them f**k up the world again so the Chinese can hang them....by their nuts.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X