• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which ?

I have a choice of working with either SQLServer or Oracle within my company. I need to advise them which way to go. I need to support a couple of hundred users in a mixed workload environment (OLTP, Batch & Reporting)
    The O/S will be Windows 2003 Server. My understanding is that Oracle is the better database technically but SQLServer is cheaper and easier to integrate with other MS technologies. My company will most likely buy into whatever technology will deliver value for money but also be secure and be able to scale.
    Any views gratefully received.

Can't help with the question, but congratulations on choosing the most random username I have seen in a while.

What's your password? elbowfries?

Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Oracle. hugely expensive, complicated, difficult to manage and tune, highly paid DBA's, not Windows friendly, everything is extra, nightmare when it goes wrong.

SQL Server 2005. Cheap as chips, powerful, self tuning and managing, DBA's ten a penny, Windows friendly, .NET built in, comes with OLAP and data mining tools.

Biggest no brainer question this year.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        Oracle. hugely expensive, complicated, difficult to manage and tune, highly paid DBA's, not Windows friendly, everything is extra, nightmare when it goes wrong.

SQL Server 2005. Cheap as chips, powerful, self tuning and managing, DBA's ten a penny, Windows friendly, .NET built in, comes with OLAP and data mining tools.

Biggest no brainer question this year.

yes Oracle is the obvious choice if you're going to be a DBA. Kerchiiing.
        Hard Brexit now!
        #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've used both and also Sybase. In your position I would go for SQL Server for all the reasons already given. For 200 users this should be more than adequate. SQL Server is much more user friendly.

Comment

Peeeeeeeep!!!!

Yellow card gentlemen.

Those answers are far too sensible for the general forum.

Please, you know the rules.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Quite right TLG. Everyone please see the response I provided and take note.
              Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                Yellow card gentlemen.

Those answers are far too sensible for the general forum.

Please, you know the rules.
                Well the sensible thing is to commit your company to writing a bespoke RDBMS.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

I would suggest MySQL. Transactions are only for people who can't code.
                  Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                  threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                    Can't help with the question, but congratulations on choosing the most random username I have seen in a while.

What's your password? elbowfries?

don't be ridiculous. thats just silly..........
                    Founder Member of the 'I love Janey' Fan Club

Comment

Working...
                    X