• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reality distortion field

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality distortion field

Ever work for someone that just does not listen to reality? No matter how patient you are, how many times you explain it, they listen, nod, say they understand and then carry on in their own little bubble.

For me it's like watching a plane crash in slow motion. You know what is happening, are powerless to stop it, and want to turn away as watching it is just too horrible. This person is a programme manager no less, yet still runs project plans and workshops. He is all over the place. I think he is running scared and his coping mechanism is micro managing. Although this also involves selling the customer on all sorts of impossible to deliver stuff in even more impossible time frames. It's embarrassing. Seriously.

At the moment I just have to play along, as I've tried honesty, bluntness, surreptitiousness, peer pressure, diversion, embarassment. None of which have worked. This guy is like an express train.

Worse yet, I have been in this gig for a while now and as soon as I make noises about wanting to leave I get the guilt trips.

End date is 31/03 although an extension has been offered. I think I have to pull the pin on this one now, and if they can't secure a successor in 8 weeks then it's their problem.

I for one am not going to chain myself to my desk for 14 hours a day to try and deliver against the rantings of a madman. Fook that. I went contracting for flexibility and freedom.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    I've tried honesty, bluntness, surreptitiousness, peer pressure, diversion, embarassment. None of which have worked.
    A boot in the nadgers usually gets their attention.

HTH
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
      A boot in the nadgers usually gets their attention.

HTH
      For the type of creature that SY describes - no it doesn't. The only way forward is to let them make tits of themselves.
      +50 Xeno Geek Points
      Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
      As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
        For the type of creature that SY describes - no it doesn't. The only way forward is to let them make tits of themselves.
        The stressful bit is where they try and get you forced into a corner to agree to deliverable dates.

Comment

The stressful bit is where they say "Jump" and I.........
          We know the rest!
          Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
          Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Ever work for someone that just does not listen to reality? No matter how patient you are, how many times you explain it, they listen, nod, say they understand and then carry on in their own little bubble.
            You've just described my wife.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Just had the other BA on the phone spitting feathers. Just as hacked off. And fed up with being shouted at.

Headless chickens have more coordination at the moment.

Comment

End date is 31/03 although an extension has been offered. I think I have to pull the pin on this one now, and if they can't secure a successor in 8 weeks then it's their problem.
                Have you already told them that you aren't renewing ?

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
                  Have you already told them that you aren't renewing ?
                  On the verge. 7 weeks away yet.

Comment

Just had the other BA on the phone spitting feathers. Just as hacked off. And fed up with being shouted at.

Headless chickens have more coordination at the moment.
                    Shouted at!

Takes a very stupid person to shout at me.
                    What happens in General, stays in General.
                    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                    X