• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Change of working hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change of working hours

I am fizzing. Definitely going back to contracting if this happens.

There is an equal colleague who is now being referred to by the grande fromage as his number 2. No change of job title or anything of that nature.

Now, this makes her just as powerless, but she has a direct line.

My hours, since moving from contracting to being permie due to the commute (120 miles return) have always been from 7 to 3-ish. I take no lunch and leave around 3:30 in the main, but take later calls by telcon, evening emails etc…..

She has had a chat with boss this morning, as she is not happy that I refused to cancel plans to see an elderly relative in Scotland this weekend because of an evening meeting that can, and has, easily been changed, so no need to escalate.

So much for the ‘One Team’ approach we are taking here. PM’s often work late, but are given flexibility for working from home a day a week, which my boss is refusing.

I am being warned that he may change my hours from 8:30 to 5pm, which is literally unsafe with the commute, where the rest of the team can do what they want. No problem at all with doing something like 10-6, which is not workable as most of my meetings start around 8-ish. If he insists on impractical fixed hours for a long commute I am walking from here. Contract does not state fixed hours as such.

Not paid enough for this tulipe.

Your tulip, sort it out and stop whinging on a contractor forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
      I am fizzing...If he insists on impractical fixed hours for a long commute I am walking from here. Contract does not state fixed hours as such.

Not paid enough for this tulipe.
      Get moving then.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Thought you were moving? plus I thought you were well paid? have we all been misled .
        McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
        Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
          Thought you were moving? plus I thought you were well paid? have we all been misled .
          Well paid for a permie - no way am I moving to Bradford for any amount of money though!!

I think the days of moving house for a job are long gone.

Comment

Well paid for a permie - no way am I moving to Bradford for any amount of money though!!

Then you will either have to accept whatever tulipe a local employer throws at you or work for yourself.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

He needs to use some of the old Wilmslow charm on his opposite number...

Comment

Morrisons?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  He needs to use some of the old Wilmslow charm on his opposite number...
                  Someone should warn HR & Legal to cancel any leave they have. Could be a busy month ahead.

Comment

I'm sure we've gone through all this before.

Disagree with the second line though.
                    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                    X