• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

renting in the UK renting in the Germany

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

renting in the UK renting in the Germany

One thing I don't quiet get, perhaps someone can explain. I've always thought the story of runaway house prices is a little false and it is wages that have failed to keep pace. That aside...

Mrs scooter and I are in the process of letting our house, laterally we're in the process of leasing another in Germany.

Tenants complain endlessly about the rising rental costs - they don't know they're born!

Our agent tells us the maximum deposit we take for our house is 1.5 months. In Germany their typically looking for 3 months rent as a deposit. So I'm expected to let my house furnished (content value way more than 1.5 months rent).

In Germany agent fees are typically 2.38 times the monthly rent, so you could be required to hand over 6 months rent before you even cross the threshold

In both examples we exchanging a like for like property, no extras.

UK tenants have no idea how easy it is to get a roof over their heads.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    One thing I don't quiet get, perhaps someone can explain. I've always thought the story of runaway house prices is a little false and it is wages that have failed to keep pace. That aside...

Mrs scooter and I are in the process of letting our house, laterally we're in the process of leasing another in Germany.

Tenants complain endlessly about the rising rental costs - they don't know they're born!

Our agent tells us the maximum deposit we take for our house is 1.5 months. In Germany their typically looking for 3 months rent as a deposit. So I'm expected to let my house furnished (content value way more than 1.5 months rent).

In Germany agent fees are typically 2.38 times the monthly rent, so you could be required to hand over 6 months rent before you even cross the threshold

In both examples we exchanging a like for like property, no extras.

UK tenants have no idea how easy it is to get a roof over their heads.
    Do people tend to rent long term in Germany and pay these costs once in a blue moon? You'd be better off in a serviced apartment perhaps?

Comment

Aye, plus you have to sign a contract with the agency agreeing to be bent over. Also a form stating how often you would be using the property and how you would be funding the rental. All this for a poxy landlord's phone number and an address.

Theiving Makler B@stards!

Comment

Originally posted by aussielong View Post
        Do people tend to rent long term in Germany and pay these costs once in a blue moon? You'd be better off in a serviced apartment perhaps?

Yes they rent long term because no-one can afford a house.

We want a home not a suitcase, otherwise the contracting malarky makes us feel we're saving for a rainy day. The trick is to enjoy it while you're doing it.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
          Yes they rent long term because no-one can afford a house.

We want a home not a suitcase, otherwise the contracting malarky makes us feel we're saving for a rainy day. The trick is to enjoy it while you're doing it.
          Thats why there are high costs then, since the agents get their cut infrequently compared to the UK.

You're right about saving for a rainy day. I should shell out and move into a nicer place instead of this serviced hovel, which is dirt cheap btw.

Comment

Working...
          X