• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interest rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interest rates

Got statement from bank for last month, and noticed interest rates they've got:

Interest payable: 0.0% per annum.
    Unauthorised overdraft: 2.2% per month

That's like 29.8% a year using compound interest rates

That's on unauthorised overdrafts though...

Not money borrowed properly, but taken without permission.

Comment

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
      Not money borrowed properly, but taken without permission.
      How is it possible to take money without permission from an electronic system that can just refuse to give that money?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        How is it possible to take money without permission from an electronic system that can just refuse to give that money?
        If they refused to give you that money then they would be unable to charge you the prohibitive rates they can morally, apparently, get away with.
        “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
          If they refused to give you that money then they would be unable to charge you the prohibitive rates they can morally, apparently, get away with.
          Exactly, so you can't really say you took money without permission (that's theft surely!), effectively this is flexible no questions asked lending rate - ask lots of questions for other "cheaper" "authorised" products and force customers to borrow expensive.

Making cash nicely putting it into risky hands and paying 0% to people who actually own this cash

Comment

Agreed - in the old days it was a disincentive against students going down the boozer with cheque book and guarantee card and writing a cheque for £50 and pocketing the change . Hard to see a justification now.

Comment

On another note I got a text from one of the two Visa card companies I have cards with, ' congrats blah, blah, blah, we have increased your credit limit to £x'. This is now happening every two months on average with both cards, just enticing people to get into debt I reckon. Then a new card will appear gold, platinum or whatever.

I think you can refuse the increase within thirty days if you write to them in triplicate signed by both parents and one grandparent or something.
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
                Hard to see a justification now.
                Hard?

29.8% interest per year!

Comment

Yes, it is unfair.

But they're the buggers with all the money.

So they get to make the rules.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Hard?

29.8% interest per year!
                    Thats nothing look at the adverts for Chav loans, they're over 4000% some of them
                    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Working...
                    X