• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Prisoners having a vote....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Prisoners having a vote....

have we done this?

Just watching Question time, 'cos I'm a bit of a saddo.

WTF??

Why should they have the vote? They are not members of society!
    Bazza gets caught
    Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
    have we done this?

Just watching Question time, 'cos I'm a bit of a saddo.

WTF??

Why should they have the vote? They are not members of society!
    I would agree but... What happens if a government locks up people who appose them and then deny those same people an opportunity to change the situation?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

European interference and potential multi million pound compensation claims from convicted criminals.

This is a case where the Government needs to tell Europe to get bent like other member states do.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        I would agree but... What happens if a government locks up people who appose them and then deny those same people an opportunity to change the situation?
        True enough but really is that likely to happen here?

Originally posted by TykeMerc View Post
        European interference and potential multi million pound compensation claims from convicted criminals.

This is a case where the Government needs to tell Europe to get bent like other member states do.
        Deffo!
        Bazza gets caught

Comment

True enough but really is that likely to happen here?
          Internment without trial? 1971 isn't that long ago.

Comment

Since society has forced its own rules upon them and placed them in an institute, by that act of enforcing its rules upon them, it has made them members of that society. Ergo, they get the right to vote in that society.

If you want to exclude them from society, either deport them or execute them.

If you like, it is not fair to have a double standard that says "We will force our rules on you, but at the same time we won't give you the benefit of those rules".

Another way is: are we here to serve the government, or is it here to serve the people? I know which system I would rather live under.
            Last edited by RichardCranium; 10 February 2011, 23:12.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
              30 years ....thats almost as long as I've been alive Long enough!
              Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
                Since society has forced its own rules upon them and placed them in an institute, by that act of enforcing its rules upon them, it has made them members of that society. Ergo, they get the right to vote in that society.

If you want to exclude them from society, either deport them or execute them.

If you like, it is not fair to have a double standard that says "We will force our rules on you, but at the same time we won't give you the benefit of those rules".

Another way is: are we here to serve the government, or is it here to serve the people? I know which system I would rather live under.
                See, I think they placed themselves in that institute (prison) by not adhering to the rules of society. It's not rocket science. It's mostly good manners.
                Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964 View Post
                  Errr, didn;t New Liebore's "anti-terrorism" rules amount to much the same thing? Trial without jury, trial behind closed doors, home imprisonment without trial, Police detention for up to ? how many days? Certainly enough days for the bruises and cuts to heal.
                  My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

30 years ....thats almost as long as I've been alive Long enough!
                    40 years actually, which was long before you were born

Comment

Working...
                    X