• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working hours

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working hours

What is normally considered to be "hours" worked?

Is the time between your arrival at the building to the desk considered to be part of the working hours or is it legally excluded?

This brings up a lot of legal questions, I believe, in case - let's say - you get stopped at the reception by the security guard or the lift isn't working or when you are in an office which takes about 10 minutes to reach (does it mean 20 minutes have to be given for free?). So if you are at 9 in the office but for reasons outside your will you reach the desk at 9.30 can the employer say that you are late?
    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Start time? Hours worked? Employer? Late?

Sorry, don't understand the concepts you are discussing...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio
      Start time? Hours worked? Employer? Late?

Sorry, don't understand the concepts you are discussing...
      If you arrive at 9am in the building and reach your desk at 9.04 am can the employer state you are late for work? And if you leave at 5.27 pm to leave the building at 5.30pm can the employer say that you still have to do 3 minutes of work?
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

I think it matters not what time you spend at your place of work, but merely WHAT TANGIBLE BENEFIT YOU BRING to the company.

Comment

i dont start before 9am - and i make sure i'm leaving by 4pm - but i do get paid by the hour and i dont have a lunch break (well maybe 10 mins to heat up my 'soup')
          "Fish is the only food that is considered spoiled once it smells like what it is."
          - PJ O'Rourke

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
            I think it matters not what time you spend at your place of work, but merely WHAT TANGIBLE BENEFIT YOU BRING to the company.
            Huh? What are you talking about? I am a permie, I don't have any of those problems at the moment.

Comment

Francko, that's honestly the sort of question that only a permie would ask.

Think you need to get out a bit more, go down the pub with some well paid contractors and learn about flexible time-keeping...

Comment

Originally posted by Chappo
                i dont start before 9am - and i make sure i'm leaving by 4pm - but i do get paid by the hour and i dont have a lunch break (well maybe 10 mins to heat up my 'soup')
                Yes, but 9am/4pm at the door or at your desk?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Black
                  Francko, that's honestly the sort of question that only a permie would ask.

Think you need to get out a bit more, go down the pub with some well paid contractors and learn about flexible time-keeping...
                  I am curious Joe and actually I think this concerns contractors too as most of the managers/employers wants to make sure that they exploit every single minute of them.

A well paid permie job is more of a doom than a bless, trust me, Joe.

Comment

Most contracts are paid by the day. My rule is anything over three hours worked is a full day, otherwise 1/2 a day.

And by 'worked' I mean sitting at the desk.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X