• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Life's little luxuries

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life's little luxuries

Lying in the bath for an hour.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Channel Islands milk ("Gold Top") on cereal.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Putting your sore feet up after a long day walking about...

... and then unexpectedly being handed a cup of tea.

Comment

When tired, slipping into a freshly made bed with good quality linen, and the sheets are just cool, and the bedding pleasantly heavy.

Comment

Having watched 'Angela's Ashes' last night I now consider a scabby bit of scrag-end the cat's spat out a 'little luxury'.....

Christ, there's not once ounce of joy in that movie!

Comment

When driving up or down a loooooong hill and your ears won't clear properly from the pressure change and you're starting to get earache and you're getting irritable from the pain and then ! your ears pop one more time and suddenly you can hear everything - everything - every thing - in perfect crystal clarity in a way that you haven't for years.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Christ, there's not once ounce of joy in that movie!
              Possibly not quite the tone I was aiming for.

Spoiler alert (in white on white): [ In the book, he throws the money-lender's debtor book in the river. Does he not do this in the film? ]

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I now consider a scabby bit of scrag-end the cat's spat out a 'little luxury'
              Steak fried in butter, topped with mushrooms fried in butter.

Comment

A sliced egg butty made with fresh, warm bread.

Really, really thick white toast, that's all crunchy on the outside and all soft in the middle.

Comment

When you've a too much coffee during or a pint or two after work, driving over the M62 Leeds to Manchester you decide you can hold it, and skip Hartshead Moor Services.

At the farmhouse you're thinking 'can I make it to Birch'? and in your dithering you miss the Saddleworth Moor turn off - the last chance for a sly roadside piss, it's Birch or nothing.

The pain is excruciating, no where to turn off now - too built up. Roadworks! 50mph - forget that, trying to suck it back in now, no laughing, no sudden movements.....

At last, Birch, stop near the entrance, damn - no spaces, end up miles away and even nearer to wetting yourself.

Find one, out of the car, waking gingerly you know what's coming as you enter the sanctity of the Gents, cubicle not urinal to savour the experience, zip down, hose out, release and aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......

Better than sex. Well better than any sex I ever had.....
                  Last edited by stek; 13 February 2011, 12:04.

Comment

A cousin lived in a big old draughty house in the Rhondda with real coal fires. When we stayed with them, in the evenings, in the winter, we'd sit in front of the fire, which was nice enough.

Then their golden retriever would pad in, look round, then lie on your feet so all that long, soft, white, fluffy fur on his belly would cover up your ankles.

Of course, you'd then have to stroke his back for as long as you wanted your feet protected from the draught: stop stroking and he'd move on to his next well-trained slave.

Comment

Working...
                    X