• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

References??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

References??

Has anyone experienced this??

Had an interview and susequently an offer....which is cool.

Agent then asked for a reference, which I was happy to comply with as I had an offer (never give ref's until offer received). The only details I gave for my referee (after checking with them first) was her name and mobile number.

Agent called to say that they have done my reference and that it was really strong blah blah and starting new job on Monday.

I have just called my referee to say thanks very much for doing my reference, only for her to reply...no one has called me, so NO, I haven't done a reference....The mind boggles.....

Originally posted by premiere
    Has anyone experienced this??

Had an interview and susequently an offer....which is cool.

Agent then asked for a reference, which I was happy to comply with as I had an offer (never give ref's until offer received). The only details I gave for my referee (after checking with them first) was her name and mobile number.

Agent called to say that they have done my reference and that it was really strong blah blah and starting new job on Monday.

I have just called my referee to say thanks very much for doing my reference, only for her to reply...no one has called me, so NO, I haven't done a reference....The mind boggles.....
    Its not unlike an agent to ltell lies. Agents are remarkably lazy, very very few of them will bother to check references unless:

1. They can use it as a sales lead or
    2. They have been caught before by a client and the client insists that references are checked.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

And you think that this the best system, an honorable profession, a utopia, an idyllic competitive capitalist model.

Resign sir, hang your head in shame. Resign.

Comment

I've always felt that a strong handshake and well-pressed trousers are all you need to get the measure of a man. References? Bah, simply asking for them is an insult.

Now, where's my gin and tonic?
        Plan A is located just about here.
        If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Working...
        X