• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cringe-inducing Interview Answers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cringe-inducing Interview Answers

What cringeworthy answers have you given or received in interview situations?

I was thinking today about one of the few interviews I failed to get; I was 20 it was a permie job and some sort of sales position I think.

I was asked the tiresome "where do you see yourself in 5 years time?" question, to which I replied "in your position hiring the next me".

Criiiiinge. I didn't get the job.

So, I'm guessing there are some corkers out there, care to share? Anybody seen anything particularly wanky on a CV either?

Originally posted by GillsMan View Post
    What cringeworthy answers have you given or received in interview situations?

I was thinking today about one of the few interviews I failed to get; I was 20 it was a permie job and some sort of sales position I think.

I was asked the tiresome "where do you see yourself in 5 years time?" question, to which I replied "in your position hiring the next me".

Criiiiinge. I didn't get the job.

So, I'm guessing there are some corkers out there, care to share? Anybody seen anything particularly wanky on a CV either?
    Any CV that includes the word 'synergy' goes straight in the bin. (unless it's the name of some software)
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Any CV that includes the word 'synergy' goes straight in the bin. (unless it's the name of some software)
      That is 90% of Bobs out the window then.

Comment

where do you see yourself in 5 years time
        Beats me why anyone would ask this of a contractor esp an ancient one but they do. Something to say I suppose.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I was asked the tiresome "where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"
          I used to really hate that question. Work-wise I rarely looked forward further than the next project.

Since I've been contracting though it rarely comes up, and if it does it's a general interest question, not directly related to the role.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
            I used to really hate that question. Work-wise I rarely looked forward further than the next project.

Since I've been contracting though it rarely comes up, and if it does it's a general interest question, not directly related to the role.
            The question contains the assumption that one builds life around a ´career´, and the implication that one should build life around a ´career´. I don´t, and I find it a bit sad to consider living my life to a plan that´s primarily about work. I work to live, not the other way around.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

"where do you see yourself in 5 years time?"
              <PeterGriffin>(don’t say doing your wife, don’t say doing your wife, don’t say doing your wife) “Uhhh… doing your… son.”</PeterGriffin>
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I like this one from thedailywtf:

My question was fairly straightforward: tell me about your experience with stored procedures.

“I’m very familiar actually,” the candidate answered, “I’m currently working at Home Depot because I’ve had a hard time finding developer work, and everything there has a procedure, and there are so many forms to fill out. If you want to use the forklift to help a customer, you have to get it approved by your supervisor.”

I wasn’t sure how to respond, and that was OK. He just kept going, and going and going, describing in painful detail what his day-to-day duties were. Finally, he finished with “and that’s my experience with Store Procedure.”

The interview didn’t go very far after that.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I was once asked "What would I do if I saw a battleship in a forest", I don't think replying "stop drinking" was the correct answer
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

I was once asked to describe an interface in terms a layman could understand, in a telephone interview. I became so engrossed in the technicalities of interfaces and attempts at dumbing them down to a level a laymen could understand that it was only after I'd answered at some length that I realised he was only after a description of an ordinary interface, e.g. a telephone, screen or something.

Comment

Working...
                    X