• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Client Refusing to Pay for Weekend Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Client Refusing to Pay for Weekend Work

I have been working several weekends recently in order to hit tight deadlines, not something I would
    ordinarily do, but I thought well, I'll earn brownie points and a few pennies.

Now I work for an Indian guy, recently arrived in the UK, who perhaps doesn't understand the workings of the UK contract market and is refusing to sign off my timesheets, because of the weekend days.

I am very angry. Contract just specifies a daily rate, doesn't mention overtime.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by TheBarCapBoyz; 15 February 2011, 13:43.

Unless the contract says otherwise this isn't overtime... you bill your daily rate for however many days you worked. There is no question of them not paying and so I think you need to make it clear this is absolutely not up for discussion.

Didn't you discuss anything when agreeing to work weekends?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

He is perhaps still in the 'Indian work culture' mind set. I working in India for years before we moved to the UK (yes I am a Tier-1 visa holder and I know a lot of you will hate me from now ). In India, it is quite common for permies to work on weekends and they are not paid for it(well, there is no concept of contract work there except in the public sector so I am sure he doesnt understand how it works). Talk to him and ask him to talk to the HR to clarify things.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Unless the contract says otherwise this isn't overtime... you bill your daily rate for however many days you worked. There is no question of them not paying and so I think you need to make it clear this is absolutely not up for discussion.

It simply didn't occur to me that there would be a problem, I have been working for City banks
        for 12 years and this has never been an issue. Indeed one of the few things about banks that I
        have always appreaciated is that they are happy to pay for weekend work. More often than not, they are happy to let you charge for a full day even if you just come in for a couple of hours.

This is a totally unusual situation I must say.

Comment

I'm always careful to get agreement (in email format) prior to doing weekend work.

I wouldn't be surprised if you're going to learn that lesson the hard way

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

WHS - if you are paid by the day, then invoice for the time that you worked. If there is no overtime then there shouldn't be a problem.

However, most projects are budgeted so that it is only on a 5 day week rather than a 7 day week, so there might be a point here from the client perspective. If they are worried about the budget, then all you can do is take off the next few days to cover the weekend time so that there is no additional cost to the project.

Of course, if you didn't opt out, then this would be a moot point.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

You need to complain to the agency. If you want to force the issue, you need some proof that you worked there. Remember your dispute is with the agency not the bank. You also need to check the contract, if the contract stipulates 5 days a week, or working days only, you're stuffed.

As above you could ngeotiate time off, cut down on hours to compensate, that probably is the best way forward, can't see the PM going out of his way for weekend working approval.
              Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 February 2011, 14:41.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

It doesn't help you now, but I simply would never even contemplate coming in at the weekend without asking the question first, and getting it in email as back up.

Hope you get it sorted out.

Comment

Don't do an more weekend work, Simples!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheBarCapBoyz View Post
                    I have been working several weekends ... refusing to sign off my timesheets, because of the weekend days.
                    Approach the manager and express your regret for the misunderstanding, tell him that you will take time off in lieu of the weekend overtime payment and that in future extra days worked will be by prior arrangement to avoid any misunderstandings.
                    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                    X