• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Iraq WMDs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Iraq WMDs

"The defector who convinced the White House that Iraq had a secret biological weapons programme has admitted for the first time that he lied about his story then watched in shock as it was used to justify the war.

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed Curveball by German and American intelligence officials who dealt with his claims, told the Guardian he fabricated tales of mobile bio-weapons trucks and clandestine factories in an attempt to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime, from which he had fled in 1995.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," he said. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

The admission comes just after the eighth anniversary of Colin Powell's speech to the United Nations in which the former US secretary of state relied heavily on lies that Curveball had told the German secret service, the BND. It also follows the release of former defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld's memoirs, in which he admitted Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction programme."

Source: Defector admits to WMD lies that triggered Iraq war | World news | The Guardian

--

Well, since his lies were used so publicly to justify the war, surely it is reasonably that he suffers some kind of punishment (like deportation to Iraq) for his lies?

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    "The defector who convinced the White House that Iraq had a secret biological weapons programme has admitted for the first time that he lied about his story then watched in shock as it was used to justify the war.

Rafid Ahmed Alwan al-Janabi, codenamed Curveball by German and American intelligence officials who dealt with his claims, told the Guardian he fabricated tales of mobile bio-weapons trucks and clandestine factories in an attempt to bring down the Saddam Hussein regime, from which he had fled in 1995.

"Maybe I was right, maybe I was not right," he said. "They gave me this chance. I had the chance to fabricate something to topple the regime. I and my sons are proud of that and we are proud that we were the reason to give Iraq the margin of democracy."

The admission comes just after the eighth anniversary of Colin Powell's speech to the United Nations in which the former US secretary of state relied heavily on lies that Curveball had told the German secret service, the BND. It also follows the release of former defence secretary Donald Rumsfeld's memoirs, in which he admitted Iraq had no weapons of mass destruction programme."

Source: Defector admits to WMD lies that triggered Iraq war | World news | The Guardian

--

Well, since his lies were used so publicly to justify the war, surely it is reasonably that he suffers some kind of punishment (like deportation to Iraq) for his lies?
    Yes, just like the bankers who almost caused the global economy to collapse he should be severely punished.

Comment

Quite interesting Panorama last night on Wikileaks. Still a weak program as Panorama always is these days, but alledging the Assange was now a power mad untouchable villian who toppled governments.

Nice touch at the beginning where they showed a secret bunker in Sweden and played 'Bond' music. Half expected to see Assange stroking a cat.

Also alledged that behind the scenes at Wikileaks certain information was being held and that one of their brokers was an anti-semitic crook.

As usual power corrupts.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

And those complicit in fabricating the September Dossier (A. Campbell) and giving it to the press in order to influence public approval for an illegal war...
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD View Post
          And those complicit in fabricating the September Dossier (A. Campbell) and giving it to the press in order to influence public approval for an illegal war...
          No but yeah but no but...
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I thought he was using his power and influence to pull chicks like any sane bloke would do

Anything else is just a smokescreen to make him look cool and mysterious, helped by the yanks who probably really do want to kill him
            Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
              I thought he was using his power and influence to pull chicks like any sane bloke would do
              More like being an idiot. The alleged attacks took place right at the height of all the fuss - you'd think he'd have the common sense just to play things careful until he knew how it was going to play out.

A case of supreme arrogance, believing he was untouchable.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
                More like being an idiot. The alleged attacks took place right at the height of all the fuss - you'd think he'd have the common sense just to play things careful until he knew how it was going to play out. A case of supreme arrogance, believing he was untouchable.
                Maybe it was his way dealing with stress?

Comment

What is unforgivable to me (and HyperD if I recall) was the fact that the bloke claimed to be a Chemical Engineer AND to have a copy of the sacred text, Perry's Chemical Engineer's Handbook. How dare he sully the name of the highest form of humanity?
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The WMD threat has been established as lies (was it Oborne's book?).

Blair is a complete lying c***, and before anyone says all politicians are, not like Blair and his government they aren't.

Comment

Working...
                    X