• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Slowing Bob Down

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slowing Bob Down

Help, Bob's doing my melon in...

Have been working for current clientco for around 12 months so have feet nicely under the table. I'm reasonably quick at completing assigned tasks and normally hit timescales.

The working processes have just changed and everyone is taking longer than expected on their assigned tasks - Management do not have a problem with this as we are trialing the new process for them (it saves time further down the line) and have set arbitrary targets based on previous timescales. However Bob, sh!tting himself to fall behind, has taken it upon himself to work 2+ hours over each day and started coming in on the occasional weekend to get it finished without extra pay - making it look normally achievable.

Should I form a union? Or steal his bobble hat?

He'll make himself so unpopular, he won't last long with an attitude like that

Working weekends without pay, the other permies will lynch him
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Recommend him to all your pimp mates, along with a CV on the job boards with his name and the boss's extension number.

He'll be out of your hair in no time.

Comment

There was a time English people weren't afraid of hard work either

Has anyone tried explaining to him that in this context, "success" means getting an accurate assessment of the new processes, not distorting the results by working extra time?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Last edited by KentPhilip; 16 February 2011, 21:36.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            not distorting the results by working extra time?
            He is doing what it takes to achieve what he clearly desires (permanent residency in UK most likely).

If you are so ****ing good then work smart and do in less hours what he does in more - then you can have a laugh, but not before.

Comment

It looks like we'll have to get the time and motion department onto this then.

Comment

It is a difference of work ethics.....he is used to delivering at any cost and I am used to costing the delivery.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  He is doing what it takes to achieve what he clearly desires (permanent residency in UK most likely).

If you are so ****ing good then work smart and do in less hours what he does in more - then you can have a laugh, but not before.
                  Surely the clever thing to do is to make sure everyone (i.e. da boss) knows that he's working much longer hours to achieve the same results?
                  +50 Xeno Geek Points
                  Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
                  As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Would you hire ICT workers?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X