• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Language Tapes/Cds?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language Tapes/Cds?

Has anyone tried learning a language in the car while driving to a gig?

Are the linguaphone cds any good?
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

I would have thought that even a genius such as you would need a little longer to learn a language.
    Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
    Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

I tried Cantonese but sometimes I used to put the Wong CD in.

I don't think Linguaphone are suitable for driving. Go to the libruary with you laptop and take some back-ups of the language CDs and see which are the best.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Seemed to me that commuting(though its not long at the moment). Instead of listening to Chris Moyles I should try out a foreign language or two and see if they work.

So nobody has done this then?
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post

I don't think Linguaphone are suitable for driving. Go to the libruary with you laptop and take some back-ups of the language CDs and see which are the best.
          Hi Paddy,

Try this

HTH
          Come back suity!

Comment

Seemed to me that commuting(though its not long at the moment). Instead of listening to Chris Moyles I should try out a foreign language or two and see if they work.

So nobody has done this then?
            Back in the day I had a load of French songs on cassettes and sang along to them in the car. Does that count?

The best CD I had for German was an interactive thing, complete with microphone input and it gave feedback on your pronunciation. The best way to tackle that was to lock myself in my home office in front of a PC and concentrate on that alone; no cheating and wandering off to see what was happening on CUK.

I learn languages best by seeing the written word, so I've never tried sound only stuff.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              Back in the day I had a load of French songs on cassettes and sang along to them in the car. Does that count?
              The best CD I had for German was an interactive thing, complete with microphone input and it gave feedback on your pronunciation. The best way to tackle that was to lock myself in my home office in front of a PC and concentrate on that alone; no cheating and wandering off to see what was happening on CUK.

I learn languages best by seeing the written word, so I've never tried sound only stuff.
              Come back suity!

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
                Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

You can learn the basics that way; I learnt enough tourist Italian to make my way around in Italy without resorting to English very often. Trouble is, if you want to learn a language well, you need constant exposure and practice, so whatever language you start learning, book your next couple of holidays to a country or city where it´s spoken, preferably without a strong accent. For example, if you´re trying to learn German, don´t go off to Zurich and hope to understand anything they say, but go to Cologne (which is quite a nice area for holidays). Likewise, with French, don't expect to understand a bloody word in Paris, but in this case Switzerland might be a good option as they speak quite slowly and clearly. As for Italian, you're best off in the cities and not out in the sticks.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by RowleyBirkinQC View Post
                    Thanks; that smiley will come in handy for next week's rugby threads.

Official RBS 6 Nations Rugby : Match Centre
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X