• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Northern Lights

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Northern Lights

There has been a lot of solar activity that might result in the Northern lights being visible tonight, and the next few days.

The further north , the better the chances.
    (\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

N/A

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
      There has been a lot of solar activity that might result in the Northern lights being visible tonight, and the next few days.

Way too foggy on the moors this morning, but will keep a look out tomorrow.

Got a stunning view of the eclipse when on the M62 at 6am, so I am hoping!!

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

Not falling for that again.

Last time someone posted that I wondered down the road to the local racecourse, entered over a fence and then climbed the central hill. Not only was it pitch black, I saw bugger all and then got pulled over by the police as I left.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Solar flares are classified as A, B, C, M or X according to the peak flux (in watts per square meter, W/m2) of 100 to 800 picometer X-rays near Earth, as measured on the GOES spacecraft. Each class has a peak flux ten times greater than the preceding one, with X class flares having a peak flux of order 10−4 W/m2. Within a class there is a linear scale from 1 to 9, so an X2 flare is twice as powerful as an X1 flare, and is four times more powerful than an M8 flare. The more powerful M and X class flares are often associated with a variety of effects on the near-Earth space environment. Although the GOES classification is commonly used to indicate the size of a flare, it is only one measure.

This extended logarithmic classification is necessary because the total energies of flares range over many orders of magnitude, following a uniform distribution with flare frequency roughly proportional to the inverse of the total energy. Stellar flares and earthquakes show similar power-law distributions.[3]
          Solar flare - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
          WTF, was this classification developed by the Yanks or something? Just because a scale is logarithmic doesn't mean it has to be all over the shop like some mad demented randomised letterised thing as above surely? Why the big gap between C and M? And as for the leap to X, well I can see that pretty soon they are going to run out of letters of the alphabet, though admittedly a flare of some three orders of magnitude more powerful than X might make the requirement of new alphabet letters somewhat redundant, if this puts us back into the stone age. But I supposed they could always rely on numbers at that point, as they freaking well might have done from the start?

Comment

Real timeish telemetry here.

Apparently ACE gives 30 minutes warning of charged particles hitting the atmosphere, but the latest space weather forecast is that the storm is going to be a bit of a damp squib.

Comment

Working...
            X