• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

WTF is the point of insurance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WTF is the point of insurance?

Loosely related to DaveB's thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/gener...ml#post1282784

Mortgage Insurance that doesn't pay out if people get redundancy. My mate's car insurance won't pay out because his car was opened using a hacked electronic key, so the doors weren't broken; they nicked the built in satnav and ripped out the whole bloody dashboard. My travel insurance and my health insurance won't pay out for my visit to a fully qualified doctor in Tanzania because he's not on their PSL.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Oh, I don't know. I had one car stolen and my missus crashed another in the space of 12 months, and totalling over £50,000 payout. It was worth paying the insurance that year

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
      Oh, I don't know. I had one car stolen and my missus crashed another in the space of 12 months, and totalling over £50,000 payout. It was worth paying the insurance that year
      Yep, but I know that if I have to make a claim, the insurer employs whole legions of weasel-word merchants to dream up ways of wiggling out of paying.

Like when Lady Tester dented the front of the benz. It was rather silly though; equipped with park distance control AND a pointy starry thing on the end of the bonnet, she managed to drive it into the hedge in a restaurant car park at about 2 kmh. The insurer refused to believe this was possible in a sober state.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        Yep, but I know that if I have to make a claim, the insurer employs whole legions of weasel-word merchants to dream up ways of wiggling out of paying.

Like when Lady Tester dented the front of the benz. It was rather silly though; equipped with park distance control AND a pointy starry thing on the end of the bonnet, she managed to drive it into the hedge in a restaurant car park at about 2 kmh. The insurer refused to believe this was possible in a sober state.
        Even after you pointed out it was a woman driving?

(Where did I put the keys to the nuclear bunker? I'm going to need it pronto. )

Comment

You try convincing your insurer that you've had your windscreen stolen!

10 "But you don't have windscreen cover on your policy sir."

20 "But I do have (it was a long time ago) 3rd party, fire and THEFT".

30 GOTO 10

Eventually, I had to get a crimescene number from the Police before they'd believe me.

It's a legalised con.
          The vegetarian option.

Comment

I've got to change my insurance so my son can drive my car (Volvo V70). It's going to cost an extra £100 a year on premiums, and the excess while he's driving will be about £500 (mine is £250). And that's it.

Why does it cost so much more to insure in the UK?
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Because the UK is crawling with chavs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                Because the UK is crawling with chavs.
                Who fake an accident, and say there were 3 other passengers in the back who all have whiplash and can't go to work for a month......................
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  I've got to change my insurance so my son can drive my car (Volvo V70). It's going to cost an extra £100 a year on premiums, and the excess while he's driving will be about £500 (mine is £250). And that's it.

After my first year of having a car here the insurance company sent me a form to fill in about how many kilometres I had done, and did anyone under 23 drive it regularly?

When I answered with a lower number of km than the estimate I made when taking out the policy and said no the latter question, and said I had a secure garage they sent me a substantial refund.

I couldn't imagine a UK insurance company ever sending a refund voluntarily.

Oh, if you have a rather fast car that you intend to let your son or daughter drive, the driving schools here have things like souped up Golfs to learn on, so they come out of their lessons knowing how to handle something swift.
                  Last edited by Sysman; 17 February 2011, 16:18.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Quite. Over 2 months now and I still have no van or payment for one. Still little likelihood I will get paid for problems caused by the accident because of their preconceptions.

Have previously found property legal insurance quite pointless too.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X