• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chavs in Britain

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chavs in Britain

Now I'm not going to pretend that no other country on earth has chavs or a local equivalent. Here in Holland we have Tokkies and the like with their resplendent mullets, and anywhere in the world there are little groups of failed ugly little tulips who spend their days generally annoying everybody else, nicking stuff, vandalising stuff and so on.

The thing is, in most countries you only see a few of them here and there. But on my last 5 or 6 visits to the UK, entering through different airports or railway stations, I've noticed that the time-to-first-chav-sighting has fallen to about 30 seconds after alighting from train or plane. It then goes on; even in quite attractive towns and rather posh areas, groups of acne ridden greasy haired tracksuit wearers are to be seen on every corner, meaning it now seems almost impossible to spend more than one minute traversing a populated area of Britain on foot without seeing a chav.

What is it precisely about Britain, an otherwise rather splendid place that has given the world so many good things like railways, jet engines, decent rock music and nuns in latex outfits (huh? Zat voz ze Germans!), that has led to such a surplus of grotty little tulipes?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

we need a proper war, one which means compulsory conscription.
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      groups of acne ridden greasy haired tracksuit wearers are to be seen on every corner, meaning it now seems almost impossible to spend more than one minute traversing a populated area of Britain on foot without seeing a chav.
      You shouldn't judge a book by its cover Mitchell.

Comment

We had mass immigration that has left a young underclass which is jobless and prospectless. Totally fecked.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          We had mass immigration that has left a young underclass which is jobless and prospectless. Totally fecked.
          WHS.

The young were passed over for cheap immigrants to boost temporarily boost GDP and Big Co profits.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            WHS.

The young are too lazy and proud to work in menial jobs.
            And too stupid to work in non-menial jobs
            FTFY.
            HTH
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Now I'm not going to pretend that no other country on earth has chavs or a local equivalent. Here in Holland we have Tokkies and the like with their resplendent mullets, and anywhere in the world there are little groups of failed ugly little tulips who spend their days generally annoying everybody else, nicking stuff, vandalising stuff and so on.

The thing is, in most countries you only see a few of them here and there. But on my last 5 or 6 visits to the UK, entering through different airports or railway stations, I've noticed that the time-to-first-chav-sighting has fallen to about 30 seconds after alighting from train or plane. It then goes on; even in quite attractive towns and rather posh areas, groups of acne ridden greasy haired tracksuit wearers are to be seen on every corner, meaning it now seems almost impossible to spend more than one minute traversing a populated area of Britain on foot without seeing a chav.

What is it precisely about Britain, an otherwise rather splendid place that has given the world so many good things like railways, jet engines, decent rock music and nuns in latex outfits (huh? Zat voz ze Germans!), that has led to such a surplus of grotty little tulipes?
              No luvvie - I'm Irish not British.
              Bazza gets caught
              Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Really? Why are there chavs in areas without many immigrants like Zummerzet or Norfook-my-sister then?
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                  Really? Why are there chavs in areas without many immigrants like Zummerzet or Norfook-my-sister then?
                  There are lots of Eastern Europe immigrants in Norfolk and Summerset, working in agriculture, hospitality, and food processing jobs. Typically jobs of the old working classes.

British workers compete for seasonal jobs as recession bites | UK news | The Guardian

Before New Labour and the handover of power to Europe, these Eastern Europeans would have no right to work and live here.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You want me to do your work? Why not instead back up your assertion with figures?

I'll back up the youth unemployed part that I referred to, with the reason for the correlation with mass immigration left as an exercise.

Figures from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) show youth unemployment jumped to a new high, after the number of 16 to 24-year-olds out of work climbed by 66,000 to 965,000.
                    News: Youth unemployment hits record high - UK Net Guide
                    Almost a million 16 to 24 year old's out of work, and still climbing.

It appears to be a Europe wide problem though by the looks of it:
                    Europe grapples with youth unemployment - CNN.com

though:
                    Only Germany and the Netherlands have youth unemployment rates below 10 per cent.

Comment

Working...
                    X