• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What unemployment?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What unemployment?

Rush-hour traffic and crowded trains on my commute suggest more people in work than any time in the past three years.

My back-up measure of pub and restaurant usage supports this.

So is it mainly those in low-paid, non-commuting work who can't get jobs?

Ive noticed traffic lessen on my M25 commute, commuters into London from my local train station seem to be about the same though
    Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post

Rush-hour traffic and crowded trains on my commute suggest more people in work than any time in the past three years.

My back-up measure of pub and restaurant usage supports this.

So is it mainly those in low-paid, non-commuting work who can't get jobs?
      Curious, my impression was the opposite.

My daily commute on the M4/M25/M3 (against prevailing traffic) was quieter than I remember it several years ago.

I guess "your mileage may vary", and everyone is trying to minimize theirs, what with the price of fuel.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Things wont be back to normal down here until the restaurants are more full mid-week than they are at the weekends. Town was always full of 'suits' on expenses around 2006/7.

It has improved, but its still been pretty since the financial crisis

Comment

WE...All of us are in the main growth industry in the UK.

Forecasts are showing there will be a 1M shortfall in IT resourcing in the next 5 years. There are not
          enough youngsters coming through with IT skills. 1 in 5 under 24s are unemployed.

WE. US. YOU. ME! Are going to be the big winners in the next 5 years. IT professionals are going to be older and more skilled than those coming through.

From the 1st BBC computer, the first ZX spectrum
          game you had published, the first Business Intelligence platform you got involved in!!! Pat yourself on the back. Because boys and girls you made the right decisions when it mattered, when it counted and when all us went to tulip YOU have come out on Top!!!!!!!
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post

Forecasts are showing there will be a 1M shortfall in IT resourcing in the next 5 years. There are not
            enough youngsters coming through with IT skills. 1 in 5 under 24s are unemployed.

WE. US. YOU. ME! Are going to be the big winners in the next 5 years. IT professionals are going to be older and more skilled than those coming through.

game you had published, the first Business Intelligence platform you got involved in!!! Pat yourself on the back. Because boys and girls you made the right decisions when it mattered, when it counted and when all us went to tulip YOU have come out on Top!!!!!!!
            Wot you been drinking?
            Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
            Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

An awful lot of those unemployed are IT graduates - the worst degree subject to study at university as far as employment prospects go, bar none. For about 10 years running.

Comment

Originally posted by Wodewick View Post
                Wot you been drinking?
                Semillion Chardonay and watching Question time.

Comment

Semillion Chardonay and watching Question time.
                  Gotta hand it to you - You really know how to live!
                  Jim is a Jedi! - Dara
                  Jim is EVIL! - Jenny Eclair

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    An awful lot of those unemployed are IT graduates - the worst degree subject to study at university as far as employment prospects go, bar none. For about 10 years running.
                    Timber. That's a subjective comment.

You need to back that up. IT is worse tha
                    Geography or Social Science is it?

Comment

Working...
                    X