• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Difference in BMW navigation systems

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Difference in BMW navigation systems

Anyone know what the difference is between the Business and Professional navigation systems offered by BMW? Surprisingly I cant find any info on their site or through google (perhaps this info has been censored? ).

Regards

Mailman

dunno but a mate of mine has this..

http://www.ozzy.com/index.php

OZZY DIRECTS TRAFFIC IN EUROPE

Drivers in the Europe are being kept on track with four-letter directions from Ozzy. An impression of the Brummie rocker has been made available to download on to satellite navigation systems.

He tells drivers: “In 400 metres you have reached your f***ing destination.” If a car loses its signal he shouts: “I’ve lost the f***ing satellite!” Ozzy’s X-rated rants are selling double the combined total of all the other stars used for voice-overs which can be downloaded on to satnavs.

Chris Hilton, boss of manufacturers Voice Skins, said yesterday: “Ozzy’s voice comes in two versions — with swearwords or bleeps. He is the top choice by far.”
    His missus Sharon is the next-best seller. She gives instructions like: “Turn around, a***hole.”

it is pretty funny stuff...

Comment

Actually no real difference, it is just how often you get updates and packaging. I have had the BMW nav system on every BMW I've had since it came out and have never liked it, the UI is clunky and with the new mousewheel even more of an utter pain to use when in traffic. I only buy it 'cause I like to tick as many boxes as possible in the optional extras.

The BMW nav system is actually quite poor in comparison to a system like TomTom, the TomTom system is at least 2 generations ahead, considerably cheaper and easier to use (not only the UI, but you can carry it about when walking or cycling).

Personally I don't bother with the one in the car but use my TomTom.

Another reason for the TomTom is it updates over the web for stuff like traffic cameras, even chip shops.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Thanks threaded.

Regards

Mailman

Comment

Mail Man, there is a difference. The professional version has a larger screen and full post code entry, wheras the business version doesn't have have full postcode, just street name.

Comment

Thanks tramline.

Regards

Mailman

Comment

FFS, just do what I do. If your chauffeur keeps getting lost, sack the useless tw@t and hire another one.

HTH.

Comment

Tramline: my understanding is the 16:9 and 4:3 screens are independant of navigation system, and only the smaller cars allow the choice, but you have to make sure the correct wiring loom is specified and that's the important part. I remember there was something about extra functions such as split screen, but that depended on the wiring loom not the nav system as it auto adjusted to suit.

But we are getting quite academic here, you'd need to find a dealer with a salesman who really knew the car, all the options such as the loom and wanted to make that sale, and I've never found a single one of them in the UK.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman
                  Anyone know what the difference is between the Business and Professional navigation systems offered by BMW? Surprisingly I cant find any info on their site or through google (perhaps this info has been censored? ).

Regards

Mailman
                  Business Nav is basically the same as professional nav, except:

-business has no moving map display and there's no option to 'retrofit'
                  -business has no split screen
                  -Because there is no map or split screen, the screen size is smaller. 6.5" for business and 8.8" for professional
                  -Professional Nav has 1 CD slot and 1 CD/DVD slot. Business nav only has the 1 CD/DVD slot
                  -some options (such as TV funtion) require Professional Nav

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                    FFS, just do what I do. If your chauffeur keeps getting lost, sack the useless tw@t and hire another one.

HTH.
                    Yeah I would but the feckers keep insisting on opting in!

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                    X