• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

AV Referendum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AV Referendum

How will you be voting?

I think any system that makes it more likely that the Liberal Democrats will always have seats around the cabinet table, must be avoided!

I will be voting NO!
    YES
    54.55%
    NO
    45.45%
    "The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." Cicero

Can I rank my answers in order of preference?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by Waldorf View Post
      How will you be voting?

I think any system that makes it more likely that the Liberal Democrats will always have seats around the cabinet table, must be avoided!

I will be voting NO!
      I'm yet to be convinced that it would make any meaningful change to the results.

If AV had been in place last year, the result would have been the same - no overall majority. It might have made a minor difference, but nothing too major. PR, on the other hand, would have made a significant difference to the result.

I keep hearing the argument that it will result in more hung parliaments, but again, I'm not convinced. Australia has used AV for a long time and has just delivered it's first coalition government in years.

The main problem is that we just aren't used to the idea of a coalition, and rush into making quick deals because that is what the public expects. If there had been longer than a couple of days, then there is no way that the LDs would have shafted themselves so royally on tuition fees - they would have been able to think through exactly what was going on and then make a decision. If the likelihood of a coalition is increased, then we might actually see some change in the manifesto's that the parties produce - these are the things that we won't move on, and these are the things that we want to do, but can be flexible on. At least that way, we might be able to vote for what we get - at the moment, this current government is running on a platform of change that no-one voted for.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

How will you be voting?

I will be voting NO!
        I think that it is wrong to choose a voting system for a democracy based on whether you will like the result of the vote!
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

How will you be voting?

I will be voting NO!
          The London Mayoral elections use AV and the result has been Labour then Conservative.

Plus Brighton and Hove elected a Green MP under the current system. She got about 24% of the vote. Under PR she probably would have not have been elected.

So it doesn't necessarily mean that Lib Dems will get more seats.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Yeah. We should certainly keep the two parties taking turns to **** it up system.

Cos Labour and the Tories never **** anything up ever.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Is this a 'first past the post' poll?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                Major fail on the polling front.

Where's the flipping AndyW option?

No poll is complete (or valid) without one.
                Aye.

And it was me who used that option first to mean "none of the above" or "other" option

Anyway, the AV won't will fail to change the system and frankly I don't think having AV would help - just look at Nu Liebor party who used something close to AV vote and ended up with the wrong brother being their "leader".

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Is this a 'first past the post' poll?
                  Oh gawd not another football thread
                  Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Anyway, the AV won't will fail to change the system
                    Um, what?
                    You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Working...
                    X