• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reverse snobbery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse snobbery

Has anyone worked their way up in life to get to the standard you are currently at? I mean grew up in a rough area, started work with frak all, and steadily progressed?

One of the things I promised I would never do is lose my sense of where I came from, get all snobby, I hate that. And in point of fact there's nothing too snobby about living in Luton anyway, but we are comfortable, have two modern(ish) cars, a nice house, and can afford a few of life's luxuries.

However along the years I have noticed people I considered friends developing an air of pettiness and jealousy. A kind of reverse snobbery. They're the working class, huddled in whispers and I'm an outsider.

I remember once talking to an IT manager, and we were going to the pub at lunchtime and I invited him along. "I'm more of a winebar person" was the reply. I remember thinking he was pretentious and arrogant. I reckon he was a lad in his day and used to go drinking and fighting with the rest of them but grew out of it.

So anyone else relate to this?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

We're all middle class on here. Apart from sasguru who is in class of his own.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan/Woddewick/TykeMerc View Post
      We're all middle class on here. Apart from sasguru who is in class of his own.
      You are now, but some of you must be from more humble beginnings.

Comment

I grew up on a fairly rough council estate. I didn't know it was rough when I was a kid - I had a nice childhood as far as I was concerned, just not much money. I earn more now than most of my mates but they don't care and neither do I.

I've noticed it's the new cool thing these days to have had a scummy childhood though.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          MF isn't Tyke.
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
            I grew up on a fairly rough council estate. I didn't know it was rough when I was a kid - I had a nice childhood as far as I was concerned, just not much money. I earn more now than most of my mates but they don't care and neither do I.

I've noticed it's the new cool thing these days to have had a scummy childhood though.
            Pikeys.

Isn't there a ex-council estate/temping agency forum you can hang out on.

Comment

MF isn't Tyke.
              Beg to differ.

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Pikeys.

Isn't there a ex-council estate/temping agency forum you can hang out on.

Good call. In the meantime, you could try that new forum for thicko yankee doodle dandeeees?
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Beg to differ.
                  I beg harder. He's deffo not.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I beg harder. He's deffo not.

Comment

Working...
                    X