PDA

View Full Version : Reverse snobbery

suityou01
18th February 2011, 10:36
Has anyone worked their way up in life to get to the standard you are currently at? I mean grew up in a rough area, started work with frak all, and steadily progressed?

One of the things I promised I would never do is lose my sense of where I came from, get all snobby, I hate that. And in point of fact there's nothing too snobby about living in Luton anyway, but we are comfortable, have two modern(ish) cars, a nice house, and can afford a few of life's luxuries.

However along the years I have noticed people I considered friends developing an air of pettiness and jealousy. A kind of reverse snobbery. They're the working class, huddled in whispers and I'm an outsider.

I remember once talking to an IT manager, and we were going to the pub at lunchtime and I invited him along. "I'm more of a winebar person" was the reply. I remember thinking he was pretentious and arrogant. I reckon he was a lad in his day and used to go drinking and fighting with the rest of them but grew out of it.

So anyone else relate to this?

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 10:42
We're all middle class on here. Apart from sasguru who is in class of his own.:eyes

suityou01
18th February 2011, 10:46
We're all middle class on here. Apart from sasguru who is in class of his own.:eyes

You are now, but some of you must be from more humble beginnings.

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 10:48
I grew up on a fairly rough council estate. I didn't know it was rough when I was a kid - I had a nice childhood as far as I was concerned, just not much money. I earn more now than most of my mates but they don't care and neither do I.

I've noticed it's the new cool thing these days to have had a scummy childhood though.

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 10:49

MF isn't Tyke.

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 10:51

I grew up on a fairly rough council estate. I didn't know it was rough when I was a kid - I had a nice childhood as far as I was concerned, just not much money. I earn more now than most of my mates but they don't care and neither do I.

I've noticed it's the new cool thing these days to have had a scummy childhood though.

Pikeys.

Isn't there a ex-council estate/temping agency forum you can hang out on.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/08/11/article-0-00216DC700000258-50_468x517.jpg

suityou01
18th February 2011, 10:52
MF isn't Tyke.

Beg to differ.

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 10:57
Pikeys.

Isn't there a ex-council estate/temping agency forum you can hang out on.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/08/11/article-0-00216DC700000258-50_468x517.jpg

Good call. In the meantime, you could try that new forum for thicko yankee doodle dandeeees?

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 10:57
Beg to differ.

I beg harder. He's deffo not.

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 11:00
I beg harder. He's deffo not.

http://images1.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/5845236/Woderick-Tykemerc-Marillionfan-Zippy-Mary-Poppins-Sasguru-Minestrone-Oh-Yes-we-are.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=agent-smith

sasguru
18th February 2011, 11:27
I'm from a privileged, aristocratic background and went to public school for part of my childhood.
I'm only upper-middle class now, so obviously have fallen down the ladder a bit.
Still superior to you lot though.

sasguru
18th February 2011, 11:29
PS There's nothing cool about coming from a working class background. Most of the working class are thick, alcoholic, impetuous people with criminal tendencies and no sense of deferring gratification.
If you have escaped from such a background I congratulate you.

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 11:30
PS There's nothing cool about coming from a working class background. Most of the working class are thick, alcoholic, impetuous people with criminal tendencies and no sense of deferring gratification.
If you have escaped from such a background I congratulate you.

:laugh

Clippy
18th February 2011, 11:39
Has anyone worked their way up in life to get to the standard you are currently at? I mean grew up in a rough area, started work with frak all, and steadily progressed?

One of the things I promised I would never do is lose my sense of where I came from, get all snobby, I hate that. And in point of fact there's nothing too snobby about living in Luton anyway, but we are comfortable, have two modern(ish) cars, a nice house, and can afford a few of life's luxuries.

However along the years I have noticed people I considered friends developing an air of pettiness and jealousy. A kind of reverse snobbery. They're the working class, huddled in whispers and I'm an outsider.

I remember once talking to an IT manager, and we were going to the pub at lunchtime and I invited him along. "I'm more of a winebar person" was the reply. I remember thinking he was pretentious and arrogant. I reckon he was a lad in his day and used to go drinking and fighting with the rest of them but grew out of it.

So anyone else relate to this?

Ah, another episode of Jackanory.

suityou01
18th February 2011, 11:51
Ah, another episode of Jackanory.

:winker:

Jog On
18th February 2011, 11:59
I went to a boarding school and had a relatively middle class 'posh' upbringing but it has nothing to do with my career or 'where I am now'..

Family didn't have any money so they scrimped and saved to put me through public school - I dropped out at 17 with no A levels, didn't go to uni and bummed around for my early 20's until about age 25 when I got a training course in IT through the job centre.

I whizzed through it so quick they sent me on a 2 week work placement in a large bank (Citi) who then gave me a paid 3 month Summer job. From that I got something else etc etc and now I'm contracting in a top tier IB in Canary Wharf through my LTD.

If I'd have tried to exploit my upbringing at any stage along the way it would probably have been more of a hinderance if anything..

No one likes a posh twat who thinks he's due some special treatment because of the accident of birth. Almost as bad as people with chips on thier shoulders with an axe to grind.

The thing we all have in common is that we've acted on a decision to raise through the ranks. The majority of people from both sides of the fence decide not to do this and just coast through life.

We are all where we are as a result of the choices we've made.

Clippy
18th February 2011, 11:59
:winker:

Stop acting like a Chuck. :wink

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 12:03
Stop acting like an invertebrate. :wink

Lot of cowboys on here today.:rolleyes:

Clippy
18th February 2011, 12:06
Dear Bedwetter

Please do not PM me.

There is nothing I wish to say to you that can't be said on this forum.

Thank you.

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 12:08
Dear Bedwetter

Please do not PM me.

Thank you.

Ouch.

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 12:11
Ouch.

I did wince a bit there too!

suityou01
18th February 2011, 12:15
Dear Bedwetter

Please do not PM me.

Thank you.

That's ok I had to report you as you won't cooperate. :winker:

Clippy
18th February 2011, 12:16

Stop acting like a Wallace. :wink

sasguru
18th February 2011, 12:20
Stop acting like a Wally. :wink

Its too ingrained for him to stop

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 12:21

If I were to do your PR, SY, I'd say (in the nicest possible way. ish):

This is why you get called a bedwetter.

suityou01
18th February 2011, 12:22
If I were to do your PR, SY, I'd say (in the nicest possible way. ish):

This is why you get called a bedwetter.

In the nicest possible way, you don't know what my beef with Clippy is, or what a c0ck he is being.

Spacecadet
18th February 2011, 12:23
In the nicest possible way, you don't know what my beef with Clippy is, or what a c0ck he is being.

:rollin:

Its a ******* internet forum
you ignore the c0cks, you don't get "beef" with them

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 12:26
:rollin:

Its a ******* internet forum
you ignore the c0cks, you don't get "beef" with them

Cock.:eyes

suityou01
18th February 2011, 12:27
Cock.:eyes

<removed by SY01>

Clippy
18th February 2011, 12:28

What are you, 12? :laugh

You really are a ?.

sasguru
18th February 2011, 12:29

Pffffffffffffffffffffffffsssssssssssssssssssssssss ss!

Mop please!

suityou01
18th February 2011, 12:30
What are you, 12? :laugh

You really are a Noddy.

Says the child who ignores perfectly reasonable requests to remove offending material from the board.

sasguru
18th February 2011, 12:33
SY you need to change your avatar to a naked squaw.
You are being royally done by the cowboys.

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

Spacecadet
18th February 2011, 12:34

You not heard of Brokeback Mountain?

suityou01
18th February 2011, 12:39

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, yep that's right isn't it. A poster who may know you posts your name on the board and you ask the ignorant ***** to remove it and he point blank ignores you, this is being "royally done" is it?

**** off, seriously. :winker:

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 12:42
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight, yep that's right isn't it. A poster who may know you posts your name on the board and you ask the ignorant ***** to remove it and he point blank ignores you, this is being "royally done" is it?

***** off, seriously. :winker:

So like a proper spanner you then go and post mine. But i've ignored you. You lost any sympathy from me.

If we going to start outing people

Sasguru = [removed]
Clippy = Archibald
Mary Poppins = Chardonay

You're being a very silly boy. Happy now?

Clippy
18th February 2011, 12:44
So like a proper charlie you then go and post mine. But i've ignored you. You lost any sympathy from me.

Sasguru =
Clippy =
Mary Poppins = Chardonay

You complete and utter t0sser.

Take my name off the board or I'm going to Admin. :tantrum:

cailin maith
So like a proper charlie you then go and post mine. But i've ignored you. You lost any sympathy from me.

Sasguru = <Removing just in case...>
Clippy = <Removing just in case...>
Mary Poppins = Chardonay

:spel Chardonay Smirnoff

MarillionFan
You complete and utter t0sser.

Take my name off the board or I'm going to Admin. :tantrum:

Sorry Q.

suityou01
18th February 2011, 12:45

Sasguru =
Clippy =
Mary Poppins = Chardonay

Honestly none of this would have happened if Archibald had just cooperated. I just don't see why this turd is being such a ****, and why I have to cop the flak.

Clippy
18th February 2011, 12:51
Honestly none of this would have happened if Archibald had just cooperated. I just don't see why this turd is being such a prick, and why I have to cop the flak.

Stand back everyone, there's a flounce a commin'.

suityou01
18th February 2011, 12:52
Stand back everyone, there's a a commin'.

Well go on then! :tantrum:

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 12:54
Think we need a sheriff round these parts.

realityhack
18th February 2011, 12:54
Alright... no real names here please, and no shouting. Please edit your posts or I'll edit them for you and hand out infractions. You wouldn't want the same to happen to you, no matter how much of a bedwetter he may or may not be. Thanks.

NotAllThere
18th February 2011, 12:58
Beaten to it. And I was looking forward to banning Rosemary.

cailin maith
18th February 2011, 12:59
Alright... no real names here please, and no shouting. Please edit your posts or I'll edit them for you and hand out infractions. You wouldn't want the same to happen to you, no matter how much of a bedwetter he may or may not be. Thanks.

It's ok RH - MP isn't really called Chardonay Smirnoff :wink

TykeMerc
18th February 2011, 13:00
It's ok RH - MP isn't really called Chardonay Smirnoff :wink

Chardonnay Lambrini Carling?

NotAllThere
18th February 2011, 13:01
Her real surname is Super isn't it? ( Middle name Tennants ).

cailin maith
18th February 2011, 13:02
Chardonnay Lambrini Walker?

Spooky - you know her middle name too...unusual isn't it?

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 13:05
We know when we're beaten Sheriffs!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_uVt1qrP55Zo/TMGploYlZtI/AAAAAAAAAH4/vXX5xmp7jDQ/s1600/riding-off-into-the-sunset.jpg

And you Suity.

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/33/3343/15Q7F00Z/posters/little-boy-on-a-very-small-rocking-horse-with-a-whip-in-his-hand.jpg

realityhack
18th February 2011, 13:06
:grin

TykeMerc
18th February 2011, 13:07
That can't be SY01, too grown up.

mudskipper
18th February 2011, 13:11

No indeed. Clippy's original comment was sufficiently obscure that no-one understood what the problem was.

A poster who may know you posts your name on the board...

It was only by drawing attention to it that it became clear. And now that we do all know your real name is Jackanory I'm not sure what it is we're supposed to do with this highly classified information.

suityou01
18th February 2011, 13:16
No indeed. Clippy's original comment was sufficiently obscure that no-one understood what the problem was.

It was only by drawing attention to it that it became clear. And now that we do all know your real name is Jackanory I'm not sure what it is we're supposed to do with this highly classified information.

I see this as an opportunity to practise these "ignoring" skills people keep mentioning. :rolleyes:

cojak
18th February 2011, 13:19
Dear Bedwetter

Please do not PM me.

Thank you.

Then Let me say it.

No names, no pack drill.

:spank:

Zippy
18th February 2011, 13:27
Aw shucks, I've missed another showdown.

suityou01
18th February 2011, 13:29

:spel Bunch of cretins assume they have had a show down, and yet common sense prevailed in the end. :rolleyes:

sasguru
18th February 2011, 13:29

Not much of a showdown. Suity limp-wristedly drew his ladies special .22 and was blasted away by the massed Colts.

:smokin

suityou01
18th February 2011, 13:30
Not much of a showdown. Suity limp-wristedly drew his ladies special .22 and was blasted away by the massed Colts.

See? :rolleyes:

TykeMerc
18th February 2011, 13:30

Bunfight at the OK Tearooms at best.

YouTube - The Goodies - Bunfight at the O.K. Tea Rooms (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bu69cnv0iU)

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 13:31
:spel Bunch of cretins assume they have had a show down, and yet common sense prevailed in the end. :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work Suity. You almost had Clippy there.

http://cache4.asset-cache.net/xc/50931749.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921F7C3FC3F69D929FD3D6E8E24F8AD364C 56DE6F82023F20A9CDA9B837978BF0E0C6E7E4E2CE924510

Zippy
18th February 2011, 13:32

Ain't nothing like a nice piece of hickory.

Spacecadet
18th February 2011, 13:43
To who ever removed Clippy's weekend away photo

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 14:03

Me too! I completely missed the name outing bit too, except to see that I've been outed.

Arse.

Zippy
18th February 2011, 14:08
Me too! I completely missed the name outing bit too, except to see that I've been outed.

Arse.

Oh hell, I thought your name was Mary. Sorry :emb

I haven't even got any popcorn in.

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 14:10
Oh hell, I thought your name was Mary. Sorry :emb

I haven't even got any popcorn in.

Have some of my sushi, I'll make space for you here on the sofa. We can watch the credits roll.

TykeMerc
18th February 2011, 14:10

Arse.

I'm sorry about doing that.

(Arnold Judas Rimmer)

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 14:12
Chardonnay Lambrini Carling?

My Mum liked the exotic names, it's true.

Jog On
18th February 2011, 14:29
You 'pwn' people should play world of warcraft

srsly

suityou01
18th February 2011, 14:46
he he I started a 5 star thread :D

FiveTimes
18th February 2011, 14:50

It won't last :tongue

suityou01
18th February 2011, 15:01
It won't last :tongue

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 15:15

You're a very high maintenance poster Suityou.

Are you sure you're not Jordan?

suityou01
18th February 2011, 15:17
You're a very high maintenance poster Suityou.

Are you sure you're not Jordan?

I may need servicing :D

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 15:21
I may need servicing :D

Christ, I will need a drink before reading any more of this budding CUK romance

suityou01
18th February 2011, 15:25
Christ, I will need a drink before reading any more of this budding CUK romance

I meant DP02, ahem SY02 I mean :D

sasguru
18th February 2011, 15:32
FFS Another thread about absolutely fooking sweet FA, what a fooking waste of time.:suicide:

Oh and Suity, do change your avatar.
You're about as like Clint as MilanBenes is like Einstein.

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 15:37
FFS Another thread about absolutely fooking sweet FA, what a fooking waste of time.:suicide:

WHS

This is about as close to a cowboy as you're gonna get

http://www.hoppit.co.nz/images/Gay--cowboy-stag-march-08.jpg

Jog On
18th February 2011, 15:43

This seems to be taking over - would be good if there were some rules about sockies/'pwning'/etc etc.

OwlHoot
18th February 2011, 16:13
WHS

This is about as close to a cowboy as you're gonna get

Or this:

http://img684.imageshack.us/img684/7681/kennethwilliams.jpg

mudskipper
18th February 2011, 16:31

Arse.

I think the gist of it was that we're not allowed to use real names, even as insults. So if SY changes his name by deed poll to 'Bedwetter', then anyone calling him a bedwetter will get an infarction.

And goodness knows what we're supposed to call N*ckF*tz!

MaryPoppins
18th February 2011, 16:54
I think the gist of it was that we're not allowed to use real names, even as insults. So if SY changes his name by deed poll to 'Bedwetter', then anyone calling him a bedwetter will get an infarction.

MarillionFan
18th February 2011, 16:56

Oh let me think on that...