• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cake and eat it - Some advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cake and eat it - Some advice please

Hi all,
    First post on here, so be gentle with me. Been contracting for around 17 years, but the last 13 have been at the same place, I know, I know, the work was ok, rate wasn't bad, and it was convienient. Anyway, contract is up in 2 weeks, I've been offered another years extension to take me into my 14th year, but have been thinking it's now finally time to move on.

I've been looking around for the last 3-4 weeks, no interviews yet, but a fair bit of interest. I've told the client I'm considering moving on, and if I find something suitable I will, otherwise I may well renew, but the client is demanding to know by Monday, whether I'll accept the renewal or not. I'm not sure how to play this, I've already stalled the client a week, I want to move on, but I also run the risk of being out of work in 2 weeks time. Any advice on how to handle this? I guess I've a few choices.

a) Renew, 13 is unlucky, 14 is better so what's one more year.
    b) Don't renew and risk being able to find something in the 2 weeks or shortly after. I'm a C++, UNIX programmer, working in finance outside the City, but looking to move back to the City.
    c) Renew, but ask for a 28 day notice period to be put into the contract, and carry on looking for work. Currently, client can give 28 days notice, I have no notice period.

Any advice, gratefully received.

Originally posted by waccoe View Post
    Hi all,
    First post on here, so be gentle with me. Been contracting for around 17 years, but the last 13 have been at the same place, I know, I know, the work was ok, rate wasn't bad, and it was convienient. Anyway, contract is up in 2 weeks, I've been offered another years extension to take me into my 14th year, but have been thinking it's now finally time to move on.

I've been looking around for the last 3-4 weeks, no interviews yet, but a fair bit of interest. I've told the client I'm considering moving on, and if I find something suitable I will, otherwise I may well renew, but the client is demanding to know by Monday, whether I'll accept the renewal or not. I'm not sure how to play this, I've already stalled the client a week, I want to move on, but I also run the risk of being out of work in 2 weeks time. Any advice on how to handle this? I guess I've a few choices.

a) Renew, 13 is unlucky, 14 is better so what's one more year.
    b) Don't renew and risk being able to find something in the 2 weeks or shortly after. I'm a C++, UNIX programmer, working in finance outside the City, but looking to move back to the City.
    c) Renew, but ask for a 28 day notice period to be put into the contract, and carry on looking for work. Currently, client can give 28 days notice, I have no notice period.

Any advice, gratefully received.
    You've been there 13 years. You're effectively an employee and I wouldn't call you a 'contractor' in the terms that we understand it.

Why bother moving? You'll only hate it, you're part of the furniture.
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Well with 13 years in a reasonable rate contract I'd imagine you must have enough in your warchest to tide you over 5-10 years with no bother so...

Stay if you like the place/work/rate.
      OR
      Leave and look at your leisure until you find the right contract, if it takes a few months then no biggie.

Comment

STAY!!!

You've been there for 13, make it to 14 then leave...

Yes I am superstitious...

Comment

Personal question I know, I'd love to know what rate(s) you've been on over that time - tell me to FO if you like :-)

Running a Ltd? declaring inside/outside IR35? (for the part that IR35 covers)

After 13 years, you may as well stay, unless you REALLY hate it.

Comment

Hi all,
            First post on here, so be gentle with me. Been contracting for around 17 years, but the last 13 have been at the same place
            Bejeebus, and I thought I was doing well with 9 years spent on two contracts!

My advice: if you have a decent warchest to tide you over, and you don't mind being back in The City, then go for it. I moved back into Banking 4 years ago, after having left it for many, many years. I don't regret it a bit. It's been tough at times, but it's all worked out pretty well in the end.

It's surprising how much of a resurgence c/c++ has made in recent times. Virtually dead-and-buried a few years back - I know, I spent years doing it - it's proving mighty difficult to dislodge. This is because many of systems installed in banks were written this way in the 90s, as I'm sure you are aware. Some of the rates on Jobserve for c/c++ guys with finance have been very good lately. Having said all that, do look to re-skill - Java and C# would prove mighty useful.

If it was me, I just do it.
            nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              You've been there 13 years. You're effectively an employee and I wouldn't call you a 'contractor' in the terms that we understand it.

Why bother moving? You'll only hate it, you're part of the furniture.

I was expecting a comment or two like that tbh, and I guess in a way it's fair. The fact is, I soon became pretty much indespensable, they kept on offering renewals, I kept on accepting. It's 15mins drive away, the people are friendly, there are hardly any contractors there, and it's pretty much the best rate you can get out of the City. I'd defy any "contractor" to not make the same choice as me.

My skill set is becoming slightly behind the times, I'm getting on a bit, early forties, can earn probably 30% more in the City, and don't get on well with the team leader, and tbh, just a bit bored now, hence the urge to move on.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                Personal question I know, I'd love to know what rate(s) you've been on over that time - tell me to FO if you like :-)

Running a Ltd? declaring inside/outside IR35? (for the part that IR35 covers)

After 13 years, you may as well stay, unless you REALLY hate it.
                I wont divulge the exact rate, suffice to say it's very decent for non city work I've been outside IR35, on Ltd, contract reviewed and insurance in place.

Comment

I was expecting a comment or two like that tbh, and I guess in a way it's fair. The fact is, I soon became pretty much indespensable, they kept on offering renewals, I kept on accepting. It's 15mins drive away, the people are friendly, there are hardly any contractors there, and it's pretty much the best rate you can get out of the City. I'd defy any "contractor" to not make the same choice as me.

My skill set is becoming slightly behind the times, I'm getting on a bit, early forties, can earn probably 30% more in the City, and don't get on well with the team leader, and tbh, just a bit bored now, hence the urge to move on.
                  If you are indispensable why not just ask for a very cheeky rate increase? If you've been there 13 years you're probably more experienced in the systems there than most of the permies, which IMO makes you immeasurably more valuable than some random contractor off the street with the same technical skills. But if you can earn 30% more working in the City (starting on a new contract with no knowledge of the client's systems) then it sounds like your experience at the current client isn't reflected in your rate??
                  "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                    If you are indispensable why not just ask for a very cheeky rate increase? If you've been there 13 years you're probably more experienced in the systems there than most of the permies, which IMO makes you immeasurably more valuable than some random contractor off the street with the same technical skills. But if you can earn 30% more working in the City (starting on a new contract with no knowledge of the client's systems) then it sounds like your experience at the current client isn't reflected in your rate??
                    I have asked for a rate rise, they've offered me 4.5%, when they have a policy of no more than 3% across the board for permie or contractor. As I said, I'm on a fairly decent rate considering I'm not in London, if they hired someone new, I think they'd be expecting to pay them about £50-100 a day less.

Think the thread has got bogged down with the 13 years thing. Think I've decided what I'm going to do, ask for a 4 week notice period, and carry on looking, if I'm lucky/unlucky enough to get something between now and and the remaining 2 weeks on my contract, hopefully it'll still be 4 weeks notice.

Comment

Working...
                    X