• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ouch, what to say ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch, what to say ?

They dreamt of a better life on the Costas. Now villa values have HALVED, pensions have crashed - and they can't afford to come home. Now for the really bad news, it's about to get even worse | Mail Online

Milan.

Do what my dad did, rent a small place inland for peanuts and let out the palace to holiday makers for a grand+ a week.

Some people are a bit thick, makes you wonder how they amassed a million in the first place.
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

You pays your money you take your chance.

Comment

When there's blood in the streets there's profit to be made. Worth buying in perhaps?
        ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

History repeats itself.

The same happened to British pensioners in Spain in the early 1990s.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
            Some people are a bit thick, makes you wonder how they amassed a million in the first place.
            Nice pension payout and selling their home in the UK would be my guess. Perhaps only the latter.

Comment

Like most thick people. Being over 55 and having bought a house for £4.50 when they were 28.

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                Like most thick people. Being over 55 and having bought a house for £4.50 when they were 28.
                My dad falls into that category, though he had the sense to buy several properties at £4.50.
                Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post
                  A bit more than £4.50, but I can't fault your logic. Hmm 1984? This woman is 62 so they might have bought in the 1970s when property was even cheaper.

A mate bought a roomy end terrace cottage in 1976 for 5K. It wasn't easy to get mortgages on older properties in those days, hence the low price, and his parents lent him the money.

Comment

Tales from the 1970s

My dad falls into that category, though he had the sense to buy several properties at £4.50.
                    My milkman bought a whole row of cottages at auction for a few hundred quid. Transaction done, he went off to count how many there were...

... and had to ask the tenants for their rent books because he didn't know how much they were paying...

... to think my parents threatened me with the prospect of being only a milkman after a poor school report.

Sigh.

Comment

Working...
                    X