• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wilmslowesque true story

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wilmslowesque true story

I saw a house I liked the look of, it had been reduced considerably (thankyou Property Bee, what a useful bit of software).

Went and viewed it. Liked it.

Other half went with me and viewed it again. We both liked it.

Phoned the agent, and offered the full asking price.

Vendor said "No way, we only reduced to the price to get viewings, we want the original asking price (about 30% higher)".

Is this a new tactic, drop the price to £1, get a million viewings, but reject any offers below £1M?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I saw a house I liked the look of, it had been reduced considerably (thankyou Property Bee, what a useful bit of software).

Vendor said "No way, we only reduced to the price to get viewings, we want the original asking price (about 30% higher)".

Is this a new tactic, drop the price to £1, get a million viewings, but reject any offers below £1M?

They have met you now and are trying to get rid. I wouldn't want to inflict you on our neighbours either.

HTH.
    Last edited by suityou01; 21 February 2011, 11:07.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
      They have met you know and are trying to get rid. I wouldn't want to inflict you on our neighbours either.

HTH.
      I hadn't considered that possibility. It was a nice area.

Comment

You need to buy this, well worth the money.

Conveyancing Handbook | Law Society Bookshop
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Is this a new tactic,

Here is my tactic, buy a house you like with the income you have and be happy with what you have.

Comment

It would have been "Wilmslowesque" if the neighbours were mafia types and the agent pissed on your shoes.

HTH

Comment

They actually admitted that? Is that even legal? Isn't it false advertising or something?
              "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                They actually admitted that? Is that even legal? Isn't it false advertising or something?
                It's certainly not ethical, but I think putting the price of your house up is not illegal, it's called gazumping.
                Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  Maybe, but probably not since it's common knowledge that houses almost never sell at the asking price and there's no obligation until contracts are exchanged then the sale can still fall through at least in England. Scottish law over house sales and rules appears to be quite different.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                    It's certainly not ethical, but I think putting the price of your house up is not illegal, it's called gazumping.
                    Usually gazumping is another buyer coming along with a higher offer. This property had received no offers, except mine (at the asking price) and the estate agent told me they had a new policy of slashing prices to generate viewings but telling vendors to stick to their original asking prices.

Never heard of this new policy that an estate agent has dreamed up.

If anyone is interested I'm selling a brand new Pagani Zonda, asking price £1.

Comment

Working...
                    X