PDA

View Full Version : For CUK readers: which is the best thriller of all time?

sasguru
21st February 2011, 13:41
I nominate Frederick Forsyth - "Day of the Jackal".
Sadly he never wrote another book of that standard - and neither has any other thriller writer before or since IMHO.

If you haven't read it I envy you. Set aside a weekend - you won't be able to stop.

MarillionFan
21st February 2011, 13:43
The Gruffalo.

Rivetting stuff.

Jog On
21st February 2011, 13:52
Don't know if it counts as a thriller but 'Imperium' by Robert Harris was one of the best books I've ever read.

Doggy Styles
21st February 2011, 13:52
Sadly he never wrote another book of that standard - and neither has any other thriller writer before or since IMHO.

If you haven't read it I envy you. Set aside a weekend - you won't be able to stop.Good God! As soon as I saw your thread title I thought of that book, so imagine how amazed I was to open the thread and see that you have nominated it as well.

That must prove something.

DimPrawn
21st February 2011, 13:54
Anything by J R Wilmsloooooooooooow.

EternalOptimist
21st February 2011, 13:54
The cloister and the hearth.

I still have little flash-backs even after 30 odd years

:rolleyes:

SueEllen
21st February 2011, 13:58
The Gruffalo.

Rivetting stuff.

Why don't you just let your kids look at the pictures?

DaveB
21st February 2011, 14:09
The French Connection

jmo21
21st February 2011, 14:13

If you haven't read it I envy you. Set aside a weekend - you won't be able to stop.

+1 - my copy has been read 5 or 6 times now!

ChrisPackit
21st February 2011, 14:59

I've never read the book but the 60's film with Edward Fox is my fave film of all time. Funnily enough, I picked a copy of the book up yesterday at a Rotary Club book sale, but decided not to buy it.

Does the book differ from the film a lot ?

sasguru
21st February 2011, 15:04
I've never read the book but the 60's film with Edward Fox is my fave film of all time. Funnily enough, I picked a copy of the book up yesterday at a Rotary Club book sale, but decided not to buy it.

Does the book differ from the film a lot ?

Unusually, the film is good too.
I prefer books though.

Doggy Styles
21st February 2011, 15:39

Does the book differ from the film a lot ?No, the film is fairly true to the book. It's also one of my favourite films.

ChrisPackit
21st February 2011, 15:45
And it's much better than the remake.

The remake was truly shocking, and bear no resemblance to the original at all ...

ChrisPackit
21st February 2011, 15:46
Another classic and vastly underated iconic 60's / 70's film ......... Marathon Man.

Probably my 2nd fave of all time.

Anyone seen it ??

sasguru
21st February 2011, 15:52
Another classic and vastly underated iconic 60's / 70's film ......... Marathon Man.

Anyone seen it ??

Yes.
But start your own fooking thread about films. This is about books, you illiterate retard. :mad

EternalOptimist
21st February 2011, 16:46
Yes.
But start your own fooking thread about films. This is about books, you illiterate retard. :mad

oi, dont insult my baldy mate, you turd

:rolleyes:

MaryPoppins
21st February 2011, 17:17
Yes.

I was getting worried before I saw this - it was all sounding a bit too friendly.

DimPrawn
21st February 2011, 17:24
I was getting worried before I saw this - it was all sounding a bit too friendly.

Who asked you?

:mad

ctdctd
21st February 2011, 17:30
Wilbur Smith
The Eye of the Tiger

milanbenes
21st February 2011, 18:28
John Grisham,

The Firm

it's a big book that one, with very small writing, took an age to get through it

Milan.

MarillionFan
21st February 2011, 18:40
The Streaky Bacon Murders

Peppa Pig

amcdonald
21st February 2011, 18:49

Anyone seen it ??

Is it safe ?

ChrisPackit
22nd February 2011, 07:49
I wonder whether the phrase "like pulling teeth" is taken from this film ...

Sysman
22nd February 2011, 09:04
No, the film is fairly true to the book. It's also one of my favourite films.

I saw it again recently and was pleasantly surprised how true it was to the book.

The book is best read with a Plan de Paris at your side. It's obvious that Forsyth did his research properly.

Unlike that twat Clancy who can't be bothered to look up what the capital cities of Europe are.

I also liked Robert Ludlum's early works. The Scarlatti Inheritance had me riveted.

Sysman
22nd February 2011, 09:13
Yes.

Ludlum was pretty good before the invention of the word processor.

Tended (like so many others) to become overblown afterwards.

Ayup. The last one of his I read was actually finished off by someone else after he died.

It was rather formulaic.

2BIT
22nd February 2011, 12:17
Good God! As soon as I saw your thread title I thought of that book, so imagine how amazed I was to open the thread and see that you have nominated it as well.

That must prove something.

must say day of the jackal came to mind too- then opened the thread et voila -there it is!!

awesome book!

2BIT
22nd February 2011, 12:18
Don't know if it counts as a thriller but 'Imperium' by Robert Harris was one of the best books I've ever read.

yeah that and lustrum were great books! looking forward to the 3rd

dang65
22nd February 2011, 13:09
I don't think I've ever read a Thriller more than once, so it's hard to recommend one even if I've enjoyed it a lot. I simply can't remember what I've read. But, yeah, Robert Ludlum's originals were always great value. I don't know how dated they are now though, having read them in the 80s. I don't think they even referred to mobile phones back then, let alone all that Bourne movie technology.

Although they are not necessarily classed as Thrillers, the original Sherlock Holmes stories stand out as genuinely thrilling reads, even now. The atmosphere which Conan-Doyle summons in A Study In Scarlet and The Sign Of Four, both of which include a story within the story, is beautifully executed. Can't wait for a few more of those updated versions on the telly. They really got the characters spot on, going from the books.

GlasgowDev
22nd February 2011, 13:36

Good book. If you enjoyed that try reading the Conn Iggulden Rome: Emperor series. Fantastic books.

Doggy Styles
22nd February 2011, 14:04
Although they are not necessarily classed as Thrillers, the original Sherlock Holmes stories stand out as genuinely thrilling reads, even now. They are very good.

The only problem I had was when reading them to my daughter when she was six or seven when, for some reason, she loved Sherlock Holmes. There are lots of big words and long sentences for someone her age so I had to paraphrase quite often.