• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

company vision meeting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

company vision meeting

I've been asked to attend a meeting to get a face-to-face presentation regarding company vision, with a view to providing direct feedback. This is going to happen within the context of a team meeting, which I'd normally be happy enough to attend, on the basis that contributing to the team dynamic, pooling knowledge and mentoring junior members etc is part and parcel of the service I've been contracted to provide. Critiquing the company vision however is waaay outside of my remit IMHO, and falls under the umbrella of all of the politics, red-tape and BS meetings that I have thus far been very happy to avoid in my fairly new freelance status.

It doesn't seem like I'm going to be able to dodge the bullet this time, and wondered whether any of you seasoned veterans might have some advice on how to deal with this and other such scenarios in a diplomatic fashion?

Just go and stop being so ******* paranoid.

It's billable and your are providing a service no different from any big consulting company that would lap this sort of tulip up.

Comment

http://www.specsavers.co.uk/

And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Tell them it falls under "management consulting" so you'll have to charge them your management consulting rate. Or they could just not bother.

Comment

Get your timesheet signed, send the invoice and run like hell. They're going bust by the sound of it.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Yes I have advice.

Be part of the process use 'we' a lot. Don't slate the vision, find out before the key message and sneakily find out what the drivers behind it are and it's objectives.

Be proactive and ask questions which reinforce the
            vision but are challenging enough that makes you stand out.

For example at a WW conference call for a major Cloud
            computing company some bright spark asked the CEO about whether the vision was aligned with government thinking around carbon footprint and the green agenda and whether we had the ear of congress. Gave the CEO the opportunity to tell the story of his meeting with Obama.

Little research pays off.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Yes I have advice.

Be part of the process use 'we' a lot. Don't slate the vision, find out before the key message and sneakily find out what the drivers behind it are and it's objectives.

Be proactive and ask questions which reinforce the
              vision but are challenging enough that makes you stand out.

For example at a WW conference call for a major Cloud
              computing company some bright spark asked the CEO about whether the vision was aligned with government thinking around carbon footprint and the green agenda and whether we had the ear of congress. Gave the CEO the opportunity to tell the story of his meeting with Obama.

Little research pays off.
              Wow! - that's the kind of advice I like, and in all likelihood am most likely to follow - not being the type to unduly rock the boat unless absolutely necessary. Interesting to read a range of views on the matter though and to note that, reading between the lines, the prevailing view is towards engaging with this kind of discussion. Given the somewhat cynical disposition of the CUK forum, I'm surprised to say the least!

Comment

Originally posted by phantom bootlegger View Post
                Wow! - that's the kind of advice I like, and in all likelihood am most likely to follow

Following advice from CUK is madness, but following MFs advice is totally nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

Following advice from CUK is madness, but following MFs advice is totally nuts!
                  You still following that SKA vision I set out for you 10 years back?
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by phantom bootlegger View Post
                    Wow! - that's the kind of advice I like, and in all likelihood am most likely to follow - not being the type to unduly rock the boat unless absolutely necessary. Interesting to read a range of views on the matter though and to note that, reading between the lines, the prevailing view is towards engaging with this kind of discussion. Given the somewhat cynical disposition of the CUK forum, I'm surprised to say the least!
                    I think if you ask real questions here you will get usable answers. Some threads are just posted for a laugh, and get suitable replies.
                    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Working...
                    X