• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Want me to go permie

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Want me to go permie

I'm looking for some basic advise.

My contract ends in 3 months and I've been told the role is going permie. I've been given all the 'you're so marvellous', 'we want you to apply and stay' and so far have fobbed off the managers telling them I'll think about it.

The truth is, I'd love to keep my role but unless the salary is fantastic I'll have to remain a contractor as I need the cash having just bought a house. How do I keep the client sweet for the next few months until I find out how much the role pays? I don't want them to think it's all about the cash, but in reality it is!

I think this topic will be raised on a weekly basis as I'm actually having to assist in writing the role profile, defining technical competencies etc.

Originally posted by xyz
    I'm looking for some basic advise.

My contract ends in 3 months and I've been told the role is going permie. I've been given all the 'you're so marvellous', 'we want you to apply and stay' and so far have fobbed off the managers telling them I'll think about it.

The truth is, I'd love to keep my role but unless the salary is fantastic I'll have to remain a contractor as I need the cash having just bought a house. How do I keep the client sweet for the next few months until I find out how much the role pays? I don't want them to think it's all about the cash, but in reality it is!

I think this topic will be raised on a weekly basis as I'm actually having to assist in writing the role profile, defining technical competencies etc.
    Having just gone through this......

" What are you offering me?"

"Thats a fair wage and good benefits and I'm quite prepared for being a permy again. I'll take it"

or

"Your having a laugh! I'll stay as a contractor thanks and get a new contract elsewhere if you don't like it".

Don't be held to ransom, your a business think like one and more importantly your in control of your own destiny.

Fear is the mindkiller
    Last edited by Torran; 1 March 2006, 16:25.

Comment

"advice" rather than "advise"

Find out what they're offering first, after all how can you make a decision without knowing the details. Then yopu can barter, seeing how you like the job etc. Consider that the company will need to spend money advertising, interviewing, paying recruitment fees etc etc so their first offer to you will be pliable.

Of course, if you're not interested in being a permie, just move on, simple as that. I wouldn't be unprofessional and string them along.

Consider this though -- they may just be playing a game to try to get you to accept a permie job. If you decline the offer, they might just lay off and keep you there, after all that is the route of least resistance/effort.

Comment

ive noticed agencies on this tack recently

advertising a contract only to drop in later (after CV) that it is REALLY a permie job, as a contractor i find this a 100% timewasting excercise

name of agency please? i will compare them to my notes.

it will possibly save me a phonecall or worse

thanks in advance
        error
        jobjock www.dreamturbine.com

Comment

I would suggest you string them out for as long as possible whilst looking for a new contract. Say you're 'thinking about the offer', 'my wife is not well at the moment, staying at mothers and I really should discuss it with her', 'sorry can't come to that meeting to discuss the contract; I have a dentists appointment that day and having my wisdom teeth removed'

When you get a new contract: fart loudly as you walk out the door.

On the other hand you could squirm like a slug with salt on its tail like a proper permie.

Your choice.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by xyz
            How do I keep the client sweet for the next few months until I find out how much the role pays? I don't want them to think it's all about the cash, but in reality it is!
            The pay will be a lot less than you are currently getting through the contract. It is unlikely that they would be going through this process if they intended to pay the same amount or more for the permanent position.

So, no point thinking that you might be able to get enough money at the end of the process. Just say no thanks and wait to see whether they can actually recruit someone as good as you are.....
            Plan A is located just about here.
            If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Originally posted by xyz
              I don't want them to think it's all about the cash, but in reality it is!
              Why not. This is likely to be their only motivation.

tim

Comment

Originally posted by errorista
                ive noticed agencies on this tack recently

advertising a contract only to drop in later (after CV) that it is REALLY a permie job, as a contractor i find this a 100% timewasting excercise

name of agency please?
                But this is the client changing his mind, how can the agent be cupable?

tim

Comment

I too have been offered a permie role where I am currently contracting. Fortunately, I get on well with the manager and he was upfront with me from the start about the salary, the benefits, etc. He even tried to get the job regraded so the salary would be more acceptable to me!

I suppose it all depends on how good your relationship is with the dept manager. If they're wanting you to apply for a permie role, at the very least they could offer some inside info on it. It's well worth asking and if they refuse then that would ring an alarm bell or two.

Comment

Originally posted by tim123
                    Quote: Originally Posted by xyz
                    I don't want them to think it's all about the cash, but in reality it is!
                    Why not. This is likely to be their only motivation.

tim
                    Exactly. One of the good reasons for being a contractor is not having to pretend otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                    X