• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Days off at the end of a contract: terminate early or take time off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Days off at the end of a contract: terminate early or take time off?

Hi.

I will be taking some time off in the summer, which coincides with the end of the contract.
    I don't expect the contract to be extended as it's a one off project and there will no further maintenance no ver2 for the foreseeable and they have enough permies to keep it going anyway.
    I discussed this with the on-site PM of the client and he's ok with me simply taking the time off it as it's essentially after the delivery deadline - we'll be there just in case (way to burn some money but hey), so to speak.
    However, knowing how the IT works and deadlines slip etc, is it perhaps better to simply send them notice to finish the contract a few weeks earlier?

My thinking is, with such an approach, I will be under no obligation to provide any service, whereas simply taking the time off personally, doesn't relieve my Ltd of any obligation to deliver services I would guess? Also I will be receiving no money in either case, so it seems ridiculous discussing and agreeing something with the client, if I can simply quit (and let them know in advance).

Other than providing a substitute person (which might actually be an option, just not very economical), what's the best approach?

2 worry points:
    - if this is 6 months away, they may can you early - doubtful but you never know, so wait until exactly 2 weeks (or whatever your notice is) before.
    - things slip and they end up needing you, so 2 weeks notice time might annoy them.

Only you can judge on the ground.

If the PM is happy though you may be fine.

Comment

Worst case? If they ever get asked about you, you are the contractor who served notice on them just before the end of your contract.

Up to you if that bothers you or not.
      Still Invoicing

Comment

Give them appropriate notice when it's due i.e. a month before that you want to finish the contract early. Don't do it in advance that way they can't can you.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The number of times you want an extension and nothing appears and then out of the blue the one time you don't want an extension you know it will happen!!!

LOL
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The number of times you want an extension and nothing appears and then out of the blue the one time you don't want an extension you know it will happen!!!

LOL
            WHS - tulip happens.

I've got an extension in the offering (and this contract hasn't finished) and I definitely don't want it.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Why dont you just wait till its definitely finished and then look around for some last minute holiday bargains?

You never know, you might get another week or two out of them which will pay for the holiday.

Comment

I guess there is nothing to stop you giving the notice to coincide with the holiday. I.E work your notice whilst on agreed time away from the office.

Comment

Originally posted by xchaotic View Post
                  I will be taking some time off in the summer, which coincides with the end of the contract.
                  Speak to the client and tell them that you are unavailable for those few weeks, simples. If that means you effectively finish the contract early then that's fine, no harm done so long as the client are happy. If the client say "No way" then you can just give notice at 4 weeks out (or whatever your notice period is).

If the project slips and contract gets extended then that's great too because you've got work lined up for when you come back from holidays (presuming you are happy to do more business with the client).
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Why dont you just wait till its definitely finished and then look around for some last minute holiday bargains?

You never know, you might get another week or two out of them which will pay for the holiday.
                    It's not holiday and I will be busy for a while afterwards too, but just to rephrase my dilemma is this:
                    in general I'd rather not terminate - first of all I might be able to squeeze at least a couple of days at the very end of a contract just after the break and like others have said there might be an extension, which if I don't terminate is simply signing a new schedule, my only concern is that the deadline slips (inevitably) and I will be asked to come and do some work, which I won't, which will hurt the relationship much worse, because PM is really a tech guy, who likes to brag on how he slept in his cubicle when delivering a project 10 years ago (and is surprised that we all bugger off at 5pm everyday) and also suffers from poor memory.
                    I have read the contract and it clearly states that my Ltd Co will be providing services in a mutually agreed timeframe, so I guess if I have an e-mail from the PM at the client, I'm covered? (I really don't think they would go after me in court, but just covering my back here - even though that would be a very easy win - I'd still lose billable time etc)

Comment

Working...
                    X