• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ever been in an earthquake?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever been in an earthquake?

The closest I've come was night when a pot lid on my cooker started rattling. It was most curious, as I was searching around unable to find the source of the rattle. Next day I heard there had been a teensy earthquake.

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
    The closest I've come was night when a pot lid on my cooker started rattling. It was most curious, as I was searching around unable to find the source of the rattle. Next day I heard there had been a teensy earthquake.
    Two very small ones. The bed moved about three feet across the floor during the first.
    Me, me, me...

Comment

A couple of small ones. The first when I was in bed and thought the dog had run into the corner of the bed. That dog was a bit clumsy and didn't realise his middle was wider than his eyes. Such occurrences were frequent. But said dog was still in the kitchen.

The next time I was in front of my computer and there was a tremendous crash as if a wardrobe or other bit of heavy and tall furniture had toppled to the floor upstairs.

A mate was just booking into a Hotel in Tokyo when one went off. All the staff suddenly disappeared and he didn't know what was happening. Quite frightening apparently. He rang his Japanese wife and she gave him the drill.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I was in Zurich during an earthquake, just a small one. Came into the office on the Monday and asked a Swiss guy if there were many earthquakes now in Switzerland, he said they don't have any earthquakes in Switzerland. Hello ‘The Alps’ where do you think they came from FFS.
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
          I was in Zurich during an earthquake, just a small one. Came into the office on the Monday and asked a Swiss guy if there were many earthquakes now in Switzerland, he said they don't have any earthquakes in Switzerland. Hello ‘The Alps’ where do you think they came from FFS.
          Well that last one I had was in Switzerland.

Snigger:

Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

BBC News - New Zealand earthquake: 65 dead in Christchurch

Comment

Felt some minor tremors in southern Italy a couple of times; they're quite common there. Mostly, if you're in bed at night, you won't even notice anything; you can easily sleep through a minor tremor.

Top tip for those who visit southern or central Italy (or any other fault zone) and don't want to miss the experience of little tremors; put two wine glasses on the bedside table, just touching each other. If there's a tremor they'll make a sound as they knock against each other and you'll probably wake up. Obviously, this doesn't really work if there happens to be a railway line next to your hotel.

Even better top tip; make sure there's some wine at hand to calm your nerves if you don't like the experience.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

The Rhine valley is a fault line, and the cause of many earthquakes. Including one that levelled Basel 700 or so years ago. The bigs one happen every 600 years, so next one is way overdue...

The first I experienced in Basel was a 4.7 in 2002. The sofa started shaking. My son came downstairs terrified because his wood-panelled room was making alarming noises. No damage cause. Since then there's been one every two years or so that I've felt.

I experienced one in Vevey in 2005 that was also around 4.5. That was caused by the Alpine faults.

The Swiss guy who said there aren't any earthquakes in Switzerland is a fool.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I was in Greece about 15 years ago and experienced an earthquake, the bed started rattling and a picture fell off the wall. It was only a litte one, 4 point something if I remember correctly, on the Richter scale.

Funny thing was, is that I was on a Club 18 - 30 holiday but I slept alone that night. I would've loved to say to a girl "Did the earth move for you too?"

Comment

I remember only a few years back waking up thinking the house was shaking, and just thought "that was a weird dream". Next day it was on the news the Midlands had had an earthquake.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X