• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mid East Crisis

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mid East Crisis

I get the impression there is a degree of glossing over going on here. This crisis has to be the biggest threat to the west in decades and yet the Libya thing is 3rd from the top in the Telegraph. Why??? Not a lot of mention of the Iranian warships in the Suez canal either.

Why is it a threat to the West? Surely despotic leaders in Arab countries causing resentment in their populations is a threat to the West and removing said despots is a good thing?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'm more worried by my Mid Life Crisis. It's lasted a decade and shows no signs of stopping.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        I'm more worried by my Mid Life Crisis. It's lasted a decade and shows no signs of stopping.

How is it manifesting itself?

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
          Why is it a threat to the West? Surely despotic leaders in Arab countries causing resentment in their populations is a threat to the West and removing said despots is a good thing?
          It all depends on who the new leaders are.

They might have been despots but they were our despots(most of 'em anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post

Civil war in Libya & effect on oil prices for starters.

Comment

I don't know what the new leaders will be like but they'll certainly be a threat to us if they think we're a threat to them.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
                How is it manifesting itself?
                Flashy cars, celebrity lifestyle, string of young beautiful women every week, exotic travel, private yachts.

Usual stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  I get the impression there is a degree of glossing over going on here. This crisis has to be the biggest threat to the west in decades and yet the Libya thing is 3rd from the top in the Telegraph. Why??? Not a lot of mention of the Iranian warships in the Suez canal either.
                  or this

Iran Navy saves ship from Hong Kong attacked by pirates

The naval forces of the Islamic Republic of Iran have thwarted an attempt by pirates to seize a commercial ship from Hong Kong in the Red Sea.

In response to the distress call, Iran's 12th fleet came to the vessel's rescue. The pirates fled the scene following the clash with the Iranian forces and the ship continued on its way.

In line with international efforts against piracy, the Iranian Navy has been conducting anti-piracy patrols in the Gulf of Aden since November 2008 to safeguard maritime trade and in particular ships and oil tankers owned or leased by Iran.
                  Iran Navy saves ship from Hong Kong attacked by pirates
                  "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Anyone else think "despot" sounds like "tosspot"?

Comment

Working...
                    X