• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Olympic Velodrome

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Olympic Velodrome

The 6,000-seat velodrome for the 2012 London Olympics and Paralympics was officially opened on Tuesday.

The venue for indoor cycling and BMX events, expected to come in on budget at around £93m, is the first to be completed at the Olympic Park.

£93m for a 6000 seater venue??? No wonder it has come in 'under budget'. The Milennium Stadium only costs £120m and that seats 75,000.

Who's picking up the tab for this? Why didn't they just let Manchester host the cycling and re-use the Commonwealth Games velodrome. No-one's interested in cycling anyway so they're never going to use it after the Olympics.

I'm looking forward to London's new £75m Crown Green bowling stadium opening.
    Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Originally posted by Alf W View Post
    £93m for a 6000 seater venue??? No wonder it has come in 'under budget'. The Milennium Stadium only costs £120m and that seats 75,000.

Who's picking up the tab for this? Why didn't they just let Manchester host the cycling and re-use the Commonwealth Games velodrome. No-one's interested in cycling anyway so they're never going to use it after the Olympics.

Certainly not lazy Northeners who are anyway subsidised by London. Its about time Londoners got something rather than
    endlessly subbing the North.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

No-one's interested in cycling anyway so they're never going to use it after the Olympics.

Isn't cycling currently one of GB's strongest sports, if not the strongest in terms of recent medal hauls?

As for use after the Olympics, I propose the velodrome is used for Rollerball games:

Rollerball (1975) - IMDb

About time we got some new sports to bloodlust over.
      Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
      Feist - I Feel It All
      Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Certainly not lazy Northeners who are anyway subsidised by London. Its about time Londoners got something rather than
        endlessly subbing the North.
        It's true, it's leisure time oop north.

All that loverly redevelopment and regeneration paid for by permies sweating their balls off in some cesspit in London, tulipting themselves everytime they sit on packed tube.

Comment

In my day they called it a bicycle track
          "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Isn't cycling currently one of GB's strongest sports, if not the strongest in terms of recent medal hauls?

As for use after the Olympics, I propose the velodrome is used for Rollerball games:

Rollerball (1975) - IMDb

About time we got some new sports to bloodlust over.
            I think there's business potential in this if you get in on the Japanese keirin circuit. Evening and night races with lots of music, entertainment and betting. Could be quite cool.
            And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's all worth it as apparently the toilets are nearer to the track now.

According to Chris Hoy anyway.
              Gronda Gronda

Comment

The price of steel shot up massively about 6 or 7 years ago and with that the cost of building stadiums.

Comment

Working...
                X