PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Velodrome

Alf W
22nd February 2011, 12:33
The 6,000-seat velodrome for the 2012 London Olympics and Paralympics was officially opened on Tuesday.

The venue for indoor cycling and BMX events, expected to come in on budget at around £93m, is the first to be completed at the Olympic Park.

£93m for a 6000 seater venue??? No wonder it has come in 'under budget'. The Milennium Stadium only costs £120m and that seats 75,000.

Who's picking up the tab for this? Why didn't they just let Manchester host the cycling and re-use the Commonwealth Games velodrome. No-one's interested in cycling anyway so they're never going to use it after the Olympics.

I'm looking forward to London's new £75m Crown Green bowling stadium opening.

sasguru
22nd February 2011, 12:37
£93m for a 6000 seater venue??? No wonder it has come in 'under budget'. The Milennium Stadium only costs £120m and that seats 75,000.

Who's picking up the tab for this? Why didn't they just let Manchester host the cycling and re-use the Commonwealth Games velodrome. No-one's interested in cycling anyway so they're never going to use it after the Olympics.

Certainly not lazy Northeners who are anyway subsidised by London. Its about time Londoners got something rather than
endlessly subbing the North.

PAH
22nd February 2011, 12:40
No-one's interested in cycling anyway so they're never going to use it after the Olympics.

Isn't cycling currently one of GB's strongest sports, if not the strongest in terms of recent medal hauls?

As for use after the Olympics, I propose the velodrome is used for Rollerball games:

Rollerball (1975) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073631/)

About time we got some new sports to bloodlust over.

DimPrawn
22nd February 2011, 12:45
Certainly not lazy Northeners who are anyway subsidised by London. Its about time Londoners got something rather than
endlessly subbing the North.

It's true, it's leisure time oop north.

All that loverly redevelopment and regeneration paid for by permies sweating their balls off in some cesspit in London, shitting themselves everytime they sit on packed tube.

:laugh

Paddy
22nd February 2011, 12:50

In my day they called it a bicycle track

Mich the Tester
22nd February 2011, 13:10
Isn't cycling currently one of GB's strongest sports, if not the strongest in terms of recent medal hauls?

As for use after the Olympics, I propose the velodrome is used for Rollerball games:

Rollerball (1975) - IMDb (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073631/)

About time we got some new sports to bloodlust over.

I think there's business potential in this if you get in on the Japanese keirin circuit. Evening and night races with lots of music, entertainment and betting. Could be quite cool.

the_rangdo
22nd February 2011, 13:14
It's all worth it as apparently the toilets are nearer to the track now.

According to Chris Hoy anyway.

minestrone
22nd February 2011, 13:14
The price of steel shot up massively about 6 or 7 years ago and with that the cost of building stadiums.