• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How do you feel about taking a rate cut for your next contract?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you feel about taking a rate cut for your next contract?

Just a train of thought here, but I would like to think that I would progress with each contract, and that the rate that I accepted would increase too. I think it's a natural progression as I get stronger professionally and that my rate would increase with inflation, cost of living etc etc.

However, a role maybe on the cards which would mean a £150 / week hit, but I have worked there before, it's a good place to work, lots of totty, closer to home etc.

But I can't get out of the mentality of "I'm going backwards not forwards" - then I look at it another way, and think I could be benched so think yourself lucky...

Is this just the peaks and troughs of contracting, or do you guys get into the same way of thinking ...

Peaks and troughs.

Repeat clients look good on your company brochure.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

What's the profit?

I've taken a slight rate cut to be close to home, but the reduced travel and accomodation costs mean I get the same profit. Add to that, it's rather nice to spend every night at home after 6 years of mainly staying away from home and discover that Lady Tester and I are still capable of spending every night together without war breaking out at Tester Manor.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

If works bad for your skillset its better to have something than nothing, worst case you can take it and leave when something better comes along
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Yes, but in reality I take what I can get. My highest rate was just before the recession hit, which I've never got back to though the last gig was only £10pd less.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            What's the profit?

I've taken a slight rate cut to be close to home, but the reduced travel and accomodation costs mean I get the same profit. Add to that, it's rather nice to spend every night at home after 6 years of mainly staying away from home and discover that Lady Tester and I are still capable of spending every night together without war breaking out at Tester Manor.
            WHS. I've taken a £45 per day drop on a contract. Travel to 1st gig was 90 mile round trip(M3) and was taking 1 - 1.5 hours one way dependent on traffic. New gig takes 3 minutes(8 if you include walks to the car)

I'm happy to drop the rate.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

WTAS

Hard to objectively compare rates from contract to contract these days. Just be thankful you've got one.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

My sequence went:
                1996-1997 contract £216 a day (weekly commute),
                1997 -1998 permie job on £30K (daily commute)
                1998 -contract on £450 a day (weekly commute),
                1999-2000 contract on £640 a day (daily commute, 7 hour days!)
                2000-2001 permie job on ~£60K

Since then I've had one more permie job, then contracts. I've only recently exceeded the £640 a day, and that's mainly because of the exchange rate with the Swiss Franc! And that's involving working from home, or in an office 20 mins away.

What I've always gone for is a) to be working and b) to get the top rate given my skillset, and the market. In 2000, I went permie because my contract ended, and the best I could get was £300 a day.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                  What's the profit?

WMTTS, although in my case the benefit is in being close to the cardiac care unit I have to go to for check ups

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    My sequence went:
                    1996-1997 contract £216 a day (weekly commute),
                    1997 -1998 permie job on £30K (daily commute)
                    1998 -contract on £450 a day (weekly commute),
                    1999-2000 contract on £640 a day (daily commute, 7 hour days!)
                    2000-2001 permie job on ~£60K

Since then I've had one more permie job, then contracts. I've only recently exceeded the £640 a day, and that's mainly because of the exchange rate with the Swiss Franc! And that's involving working from home, or in an office 20 mins away.

What I've always gone for is a) to be working and b) to get the top rate given my skillset, and the market. In 2000, I went permie because my contract ended, and the best I could get was £300 a day.
                    Interesting to know that you have happily swapped in and out of the permie world. I am having a little think about this myself what with a slight change in personal circumstance. Could do with a 'safe haven' for a short while.

Comment

Working...
                    X