• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ancient History

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ancient History

Clearing out boxes I've had lying around for years I came across disks and manuals that were the tools of the trade back in the old days. FoxPro, Clipper, Sycero db and assorted libraries, compilers etc.

A wee burst of nostalgia and a hankering after simpler days. Sycero db was one of the best tools I'd ever come across being a Clipper app generator with it's own language extensions. Sadly none of the discs are readable now even if I did want to mess around with that stuff again.

Any favourite software / tools?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    Clearing out boxes I've had lying around for years I came across disks and manuals that were the tools of the trade back in the old days. FoxPro, Clipper, Sycero db and assorted libraries, compilers etc.

A wee burst of nostalgia and a hankering after simpler days. Sycero db was one of the best tools I'd ever come across being a Clipper app generator with it's own language extensions. Sadly none of the discs are readable now even if I did want to mess around with that stuff again.

Visual J++

Don't know much about Chippery. You're obviously a devotee. Tell us about it.

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
      Visual J++

Don't know much about Chippery. You're obviously a devotee. Tell us about it.
      What's to tell? Back in the day smaller businesses were getting computerised beyond having a couple of word processors, bigger companies needed custom niche apps. Clipper et al filled that development slot nicely, apps could be created quickly. A nice earner and continued that way for a long time as existing apps needed to be supported or upgraded.

Accounting, stock control, inventory, help desk and just about anything else that required a database was easy to develop and deploy. Using tools like Sycero db I could have an app finished in a few days ready to move onto the next job.
      Me, me, me...

Comment

What's to tell? Back in the day smaller businesses were getting computerised beyond having a couple of word processors, bigger companies needed custom niche apps. Clipper et al filled that development slot nicely, apps could be created quickly. A nice earner and continued that way for a long time as existing apps needed to be supported or upgraded.

Accounting, stock control, inventory, help desk and just about anything else that required a database was easy to develop and deploy. Using tools like Sycero db I could have an app finished in a few days ready to move onto the next job.
        Yep, now these simple apps take months to develop, have configuration issues (say with frameworks or APIs), suffer regression issues every time Microshaft release a service pack, but hey, this is progress
        Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          Yep, now these simple apps take months to develop, have configuration issues (say with frameworks or APIs), suffer regression issues every time Microshaft release a service pack, but hey, this is progress
          Nah mate, Progress was a different language altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Nah mate, Progress was a different language altogether.
            Fortanately so.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
              The rot set in when we got rid of punched cards.
              +50 Xeno Geek Points
              Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
              As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                The rot set in when we gave women the vote.
                Ftfy.

Oh and put the kettle on love.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost

And you had to fix it with those curious sticky pad thingies.
                  Sorry. Are we talking about women or paper tape?
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

X-Tree Pro
                    EditPad
                    AmiPro
                    The vegetarian option.

Comment

Working...
                    X