• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next year 10,000 Britons are going to die.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next year 10,000 Britons are going to die.....

...due to global warming.

Health effects of climate change in the UK : Department of Health - Publications

The biggest danger to health, and the most likely to occur, is a major heatwave. The report predicts a heatwave will occur by 2012, causing between 3,000 and 10,000 deaths. Scientists put the odds of a heatwave in the south-east of England by that time at around 1 in 40. The report says: "In terms of conventional thinking about risks to health, 1 in 40 is high.” A French heatwave in 2003 caused the deaths of an estimated 14,000 people, most of them elderly.

However, it was published by the Labour government on the 1st April 2001.

I'm ordering a new barbeque and a lorry load of chilled beer in anticipation.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post

Health effects of climate change in the UK : Department of Health - Publications

The biggest danger to health, and the most likely to occur, is a major heatwave. The report predicts a heatwave will occur by 2012, causing between 3,000 and 10,000 deaths. Scientists put the odds of a heatwave in the south-east of England by that time at around 1 in 40. The report says: "In terms of conventional thinking about risks to health, 1 in 40 is high.” A French heatwave in 2003 caused the deaths of an estimated 14,000 people, most of them elderly.

There goes my new sledge business. :-(
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      There goes my new sledge business. :-(
      Yep.

Snowfalls are now just a thing of the past - Environment - The Independent

Comment

Heathrow airport is ordering 10 billion cubic tonnes of de-icer in anticipation.

Comment

That's nothing, I trump your 10,000 with 250,000 DEATHS... over 20 years.

BBC News - Thousands are 'at risk of alcohol death' say doctors
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

At least the publish date was appropriate...
            You won't be alerting anyone to anything with a mouthful of mixed seeds.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              That's nothing, I trump your 10,000 with 250,000 DEATHS... over 20 years.

BBC News - Thousands are 'at risk of alcohol death' say doctors
              Didn't the Lancet publish the MMR fairytale?

BTW figures from the drinks industry recently showed that alcohol consumption in the UK has been declining for about the last 6 years.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Didn't the Lancet publish the MMR fairytale?

BTW figures from the drinks industry recently showed that alcohol consumption in the UK has been declining for about the last 6 years.
                That would be average drinks consumption across the whole population.

It is quite possible for binge drinking to increase whilst still having a reduction in the over all amount being drunk
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Yes, it's harsh but is it the end of the world if the weakest of the coffin-dodgers is hastened towards the exit ? And as for people drinking themselves to death, they are unlikely to be among the most productive people in society and therefore this counts as a reduction in the burden on the rest of us.
                  We can't afford pensions for either lot so bit of a win-win if you ask me....

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
                    Yes, it's harsh but is it the end of the world if the weakest of the coffin-dodgers is hastened towards the exit ? And as for people drinking themselves to death, they are unlikely to be among the most productive people in society and therefore this counts as a reduction in the burden on the rest of us.
                    We can't afford pensions for either lot so bit of a win-win if you ask me....
                    There have been lots of reports to show that it's not the people you expect who are drinking the most.

And lots of alcoholics remain functional for along time before they either kick the habit or drop dead.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X