• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the general state of the London Contract Market - SQL Server

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there
    Im am new to this forum , so apologies if I have put this in the wrong section.

I wanted to know what the state of the current contract market is in London at the moment,
    in particular SQL Server?

I am currently in a permanent position at the moment and want to go contracting but obviously want to check what the state of the market is.

Are you finding contracts ok? Finding many jobs available?

Thanks

Originally posted by Weegee View Post
    Hi there
    Im am new to this forum , so apologies if I have put this in the wrong section.

I wanted to know what the state of the current contract market is in London at the moment,
    in particular SQL Server?

I am currently in a permanent position at the moment and want to go contracting but obviously want to check what the state of the market is.

Are you finding contracts ok? Finding many jobs available?

Thanks
    Have you looked on JS, other jobsites? Contractors have to be proactive, not reactive so go out there and look, call people, connect and look at it from a helicopter view with lot's of blue sky thinking going forward off piste.

Get traction on it.

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
      Have you looked on JS, other jobsites? Contractors have to be proactive, not reactive so go out there and look, call people, connect and look at it from a helicopter view with lot's of blue sky thinking going forward off piste.

Get traction on it.
      Thanks for that

Anyone else got any useful information on this?

Comment

Thanks for that

Anyone else got any useful information on this?
        Do you really expect a load of other people to do your research for you?

Put your CV out, don't mention your notice period and see what calls you get within 2/3 weeks. It may go quiet over the many bank holidays later in April but then you can work out whether to leave your employer.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Do you really expect a load of other people to do your research for you?

Put your CV out, don't mention your notice period and see what calls you get within 2/3 weeks. It may go quiet over the many bank holidays later in April but then you can work out whether to leave your employer.
          No I dont expect a load of other people to my research for me.

I am just asking a question about what people thoughts are on the general state of the market and
          what they feel.

You know like when you first started contracting ...or did you not expect ask for help or advice on contracting...because you expected to do it all yourself?

Comment

You know like when you first started contracting ...or did you not expect ask for help or advice on contracting...because you expected to do it all yourself?
            I first started contracting by accident. I then went back to contracting again, it was again by accident.

Also I:
            1. Have contractors in my family so learnt what to say to agencies
            2. Have good research skills particularly when using the web so know how to put phrases in a search engine. And most importantly know how to use the search facility on this site.

Edited to say: These forums are filled with people with different specialities and skills who live in different places around the UK, Europe and even in Australia so asking about one specific skill in one particular area isn't going to get you the response you want particularly if people don't want you competing with them.
            Last edited by SueEllen; 30 March 2011, 11:34.

Comment

I first started contracting by accident. I then went back to contracting again, it was again by accident.

Also I:
              1. Have contractors in my family so learnt what to say to agencies
              2. Have good research skills particularly when using the web so know how to put phrases in a search engine. And most importantly know how to use the search facility on this site.

Edited to say: These forums are filled with people with different specialities and skills who live in different places around the UK, Europe and even in Australia so asking about one specific skill in one particular area isn't going to get you the response you want particularly if people don't want you competing with them.
              Im glad that you have contractors in your family to speak to.
              Hopefully they were more helpful , less sarcastic and patronising that you have been here, when you did ask for help...which i presume that you must have at some stage.

Comment

Im glad that you have contractors in your family to speak to.
                Hopefully they were more helpful , less sarcastic and patronising that you have been here, when you did ask for help...which i presume that you must have at some stage.
                Actually they told me to research the market for my skills myself just like I told you. (In fact they weren't even nice enough to suggest away of doing it as I've told you in my post at 10:48 )

They were only helpful on the accountancy and agency aspects.

Edited to say: If you think I'm nasty then you are in for a shock once you start dealing with agents. It's also probably worth you learning and gaining experience Oracle skills as well.
                Last edited by SueEllen; 30 March 2011, 14:13.

Comment

Actually they told me to research the market for my skills myself just like I told you. (In fact they weren't even nice enough to suggest away of doing it as I've told you in my post at 10:48 )

They were only helpful on the accountancy and agency aspects.

Edited to say: If you think I'm nasty then you are in for a shock once you start dealing with agents. It's also probably worth you learning and gaining experience Oracle skills as well.
                  Oooh I have a fair idea of how agents are.
                  But if I am learn Oracle as well as how to be as nasty as you , then I should have no problem finding
                  a job in this market ....especially investment banking eh?

Comment

Oooh I have a fair idea of how agents are.
                    But if I am learn Oracle as well as how to be as nasty as you , then I should have no problem finding
                    a job in this market ....especially investment banking eh?
                    errr... yeah

woohoo my status just changed to Fingers like lightning!

Comment

Working...
                    X