PDA

View Full Version : Ipad2 to be launched next week

TimberWolf
23rd February 2011, 17:03
by the sound of it.

Apple to host March 2 event, iPad 2 in the wings | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/23/us-apple-event-idUSTRE71M4C620110223)

It is expected to have a camera.

DimPrawn
23rd February 2011, 17:07
Whoopie Do!

The Mac fans will have a :winker: fest.

:laugh

TimberWolf
23rd February 2011, 17:09
Whoopie Do!

The Mac fans will have a :winker: fest.

:laugh

If only they weren't so expensive.

What technogadgets are in the Dim household? Any smartphones, Kindles and the like?

Alf W
23rd February 2011, 17:18
Brilliant. So all the smug iTwats that have shelled out £600 in the last 9 months now have an embarrassing obsolete piece of junk to embarrass them.

If the old ones come down to sub £100 I might get one for the kid.

DimPrawn
23rd February 2011, 17:27
If only they weren't so expensive.

What technogadgets are in the Dim household? Any smartphones, Kindles and the like?

iPhone, iPods and iPads.

:smokin

AtW
23rd February 2011, 17:28
I think I'll buy one actually - seen v1 in the flesh yesterday, looks very nice - v2 will be perfect for my sofa :smokin

Pondlife
23rd February 2011, 17:32
I think I'll buy one actually - seen v1 in the flesh yesterday, looks very nice - v2 will be perfect for my sofa :smokin

Does the new one have an armrest then?

TimberWolf
23rd February 2011, 17:41
Its competitor comes out tomorrow:

http://cmsimg.freep.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=C4&Date=20110223&Category=NEWS09&ArtNo=110223022&Ref=AR&Profile=1011&MaxW=640&Border=0

http://www.freep.com/article/20110223/NEWS09/110223022/1011/news09/Motorola-Xoom-First-look-Android-s-hopeful-iPad-killer

Bloody expensive and looks like an iPad.

Ruprect
23rd February 2011, 17:42
I think I'll buy one actually - seen v1 in the flesh yesterday, looks very nice - v2 will be perfect for my :winker: habit :smokin

FTFY :D

TykeMerc
23rd February 2011, 17:59
I don't understand why people would pay such a massive amount for such limited functionality.

Churchill
23rd February 2011, 18:00
I don't understand why people would pay such a massive amount for such limited functionality.

Limited functionality? What else do you expect it to do?

TykeMerc
23rd February 2011, 18:12

Play popular mass market games (with demanding graphics), be able to use off the shelf standard applications office/graphics/development, file storage and serving if needed, run virtual machines, boot to different operating systems, be easy to upgrade if a new app needs it, connect wired or wireless to networks, connect any USB peripheral. Just the standard stuff you can do with a similarly priced laptop really.

Portability is a heavy price to pay to lose most of those.

On my very cheap (I paid about £175) and nasty netbook which is highly portable I can do most of those and my reasonably priced but large Dell XPS I can do all of them.

AtW
23rd February 2011, 18:30

They've added easy to use sockie switching functionality there :smokin

GreenLabel
23rd February 2011, 18:51
I think I'll buy one actually - seen v1 in the flesh yesterday, looks very nice - v7 will be perfect for my sofa :smokin

FTFY

AtW
23rd February 2011, 19:01
FTFY

It will be v7 by the time I get my sofa :eyes

GreenLabel
23rd February 2011, 19:15
It will be v7 by the time I get my sofa :eyes

Um, that's kinda what I was getting at.

amcdonald
23rd February 2011, 19:37
All these tablets are just large smart phones without the phone bit

I can't see the excitement

amcdonald
23rd February 2011, 19:39

It's a bird puller for those on limited budgets

northernladuk
23rd February 2011, 21:35

I would have said make phone calls but it would certainly kill any cool you might have had holding this up to your ear. I can't wait to see the first person with a Samsung one taking a call :D

d000hg
23rd February 2011, 21:46
Brilliant. So all the smug iTwats that have shelled out £600 in the last 9 months now have an embarrassing obsolete piece of junk to embarrass them.You mean like how iPhone3GS is still used by loads of people? Or those who bought any other tablet are left with a usable item even when better ones come out.

Still, you sit their waiting until they stop making better versions of things before buying anything. Good luck with that.

TimberWolf
23rd February 2011, 22:15
You mean like how iPhone3GS is still used by loads of people? Or those who bought any other tablet are left with a usable item even when better ones come out.

Still, you sit their waiting until they stop making better versions of things before buying anything. Good luck with that.

I was looking at the used prices of iPads on Amazon earlier, which admittedly was not a comprehensive study, and they were surprisingly high. The previous generation of the iPod Touch was also selling for more than the next generation for reasons I didn't fathom.

Next big thing, probably some time off and missing a few steps in between, will be a smartphone that has advantages of a big display with the advantages of a small device. Roll-up or fold up displays.

TimberWolf
6th March 2011, 20:14
Hands on: iPad 2 review | News | TechRadar UK (http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile-computing/portable-computing/hands-on-apple-ipad-2-review-932451)