• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Higher taxes and longer working lives

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Higher taxes and longer working lives

For those who are worried they might not spend enough time in the office before they die, take heart:

Pensions and health care pledges put UK at 'extreme risk' of another economic crisis - Telegraph
    I'm alright Jack

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    For those who are worried they might not spend enough time in the office before they die, take heart:
    I just worry that the money I earn now will be worthless by the time I try to spend it.

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
      I just worry that the money I earn now will be worthless by the time I try to spend it.
      Get married then

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
        Been there, done that, lived through the 70s & 80s & 90s.

And here we go again.
        At least in those periods leaving money sitting in the bank wasn't the financial disaster it is today:

Comment

The trouble with 'longer working lives' is that many people who lose their jobs in their 40s or 50s struggle to ever find work again as many companies don't like hiring older workers. Age discrimination is real and it's going to cause big economic problems at this rate.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I hope no one under the age of approx. 40, permies in particular, are suffereing from the delusion that they will ever be able to retire and live off proceeds from savings and pensions.

That is simply a delusion.

Wake up and start crying, and keep working.
            "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
              Just spend it all on beer, women and fast cars now, rather than waste the money
              Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by ThomasSoerensen View Post
                I hope no one under the age of approx. 40, permies in particular, are suffereing from the delusion that they will ever be able to retire and live off proceeds from savings and pensions.
                That's why being benched between contracts doesn't upset me.

However it's NOT FAIR my brothers get to retire fully.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

One big problem is lack of guts on the part of politicians to tackle the issue head on. Here in Holland, after long debates and campaigns and whatnot, they're changing retirement age to 66 sometime in the future. No government has the guts to just say 'starting tomorrow, state pension age will rise to 67 for all those not yet recieving a pension'. I know, it would seem unfair on some people who are hoping to retire this year. It would seem rather nasty. But in this case if you keep procrastinating the pain will be many times worse when it finally comes.

What I find particularly disappointing is that demographers have been warning European governments about this pension problem for 40 years or so; the problem has not suddenly arised as a result of the banking crisis; that's just a convenient excuse for politicians who've failed to tackle the issue, and it's brought the issue to a head, especially with the current low interest rates (which are too low and are creating even bigger problems in the medium and long term than they're supposed to solve). People are starting work later and later, living longer and longer and still hoping to retire at 65. Something has to give, and being a reasonably humane chap, I wouldn't want it to be life expectancy.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

You could fix it by making everyone have a personal account stat starts out with zero - gets withdrawn from untill you start paying taxes - and then slowly gets topped up by paying taxes every month, maybe you could even add voluntary topups, and then when you stop working and paying taxes you withdraw from the account what you need untill it reaches zero. Of course the account should not be allowed to go into credit again.

It makes it nice and personal and you do not burden future generations with your extravagance.

Does anyone find fault with this system?
                    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Working...
                    X