• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lack of tolerance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lack of tolerance

Residents in a quiet village are embroiled in an extraordinary neighbourhood row after a military enthusiast bought a £10,000 tank and parked it outside his home.

The huge green tanklike crane, designed to carry out battlefield repairs, has been sitting in a lay-by since new owner Nicholas Kravchenko drove it there last week.

Residents living in the normally tranquil area of Wolvercote, near Oxford, Oxon, have branded the machine an ''eyesore''.

Police have now been called in to settle the "neighbourhood dispute" amid claims the £10,000 tank was intimidating locals.

The enthusiast bought the former Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers (REME) armoured vehicle second-hand to drive it for his own pleasure to display it at shows and charity events.

Mr Kravchenko, a retired army engineer, is now refusing to move the four-tonne camouflaged vehicle, which came complete with caterpillar tracks and take up three-and-a-half normal parking spaces.

''I can go out and drive it any time I like. There's no law to stop anyone having 10 tanks," he said.

''The council have not said it's anti-social and the police would have been straight on to me if it was parked illegally.

''It's not intimidating, because it's a square box with a Rolls-Royce engine in it and it doesn't stick out in the road.''

Mr Kravchenko, who calls himself "Tank Man", claimed he was the victim.

"I'm fed up with it," he said.

"I can go out and drive it any time I like. There's no law to stop anyone having 10 tanks.

Source: Police called to settle extraordinary village 'tank' row - Telegraph

-----------

I guess I'll just have to settle for a replica

Source: Radio Controlled Model Tanks - M1A1 Abrams, T90, T34, Panther, Jagdpanther,Tiger 1, King Tiger, M4 Sherman Howitzer, Sherman Firefly, Joseph Stalin 2, Leopard 2

Originally posted by AtW View Post

The huge green tanklike crane, designed to carry out battlefield repairs
    Looks more like it was designed to lay block driveways!

clever tank thing

Comment

Some tank. It hasn't got a big gun, just a big arm.

Comment

It's a light armoured vehicle ffs, not a tank - neighbours should be grateful that guy can't afford something proper like this:

Comment

I blame Kenny Everett, if hadn't used to tanks to grab parking spaces in sketches it wouldn't have caught on as a concept so well
          Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Mr Kravchenko, a retired army engineer, is now refusing to move the four-tonne camouflaged vehicle
            Rubbish camoulfalge if people are calling it an eyesore.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

It looks like a recovery vehicle, a sort of AA or RAC for the army. It takes a lot of skill and power to get a 60 ton tank out of a ditch or a bog

REME guys are famous for having workshops on wheels, with fridges. with beer. So they become to most popular guys in the universe when on exercise, esp in the summer.

As they get to fix things, they also get to 'aquire' bits of spare kit. We were attacked one night by some paras (iirc) and they couldnt get near our perimeter and they were baffled, but we had about ten times the complement of night vision kit and zebedee portable radars than a company of infantry.

The main problem for the neighbours is if this thing breaks down, or gets set on fire by yobs. Lets face it, if he doesnt pay his road tax, it would be a classic to see the plod trying to tow the bastid away

(\__/)
              (>'.'<)
              ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Residents in a quiet village are embroiled in an extraordinary neighbourhood row after a military enthusiast bought a £10,000 tank and parked it outside his home.
                Wish my neighbours where as interesting.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  Try living opposite wannabe mafia looney, and sharing a boundary with a vitriolic wench from hell who enjoys spreading slander and throwing garden rubbish at the cat over your back fence!

I am tempted to get an old army landrover though - got happy memories of those from my TA days. Would be complete with SA-80 in the boot, so no messing.....

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                    CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Working...
                    X