• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Managing a good friend (got him hired)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Managing a good friend (got him hired)

Wasn't sure where to ask this really, so thought I'd throw it up on here, since this is pretty much the forum I read most often.

Basically, I got hired as a manager at this new job (which required me to move from England to Canada). They also asked me if I knew anyone else for the job, which would be under myself, so I recommended my friend (who was already living in Canada). Everything ended up going well, and I got him an interview (which was extremely easy).

So yea, he got the job. We both flew down and started work.

My biggest problem I'm finding now is with managing him. The way he responds to me is as if he would if we were having beers at a local pub - with no respect. I would ask him to do something and then he'd just say 'no' in a jokingly manner, and wouldn't do it, then later asked me what I wanted again (so obviously wasn't even listening). Meanwhile, there is another person under me, which is a more junior level guy, but I'm just embarrassed that he has to sit on through this.

That's basically the small problem - now the main issues are the arguments. If I tell him that we're doing something a certain way, he'll argue with me to no-end - even for things that area clearly trivial. Even if he knows he's wrong, he'll go online to try and prove me wrong and show me that his way is the best way.

Another bit of history - I had hired him on a few years ago to work as a sub-contractor under me in England, and that didn't go so well either - everyone basically hated him because he had no work ethics. Then I wasn't fully managing him though, because we had a project manager who kind of looked after him (tried at least).

I know I'm an idiot, but I thought I'd give him another chance.

Also, the only real jobs he's had so far are jobs I've gotten him - other than that he's been doing piece work in his basement (making websites for small companies). Making no money basically.

And this job and the one I got for him before did and does pay a lot of money, which is more than he had before (which was basically nothing). I just feel that he doesn't appreciate anything I've done for him - just thinks that he's entitled to everything on a silver platter.

Any thoughts?

Sack him.

Comment

Clearly he has no understanding of the word work, you knew this from a previous attempt and have confirmed it on this one.

Simple logic to someone managing a contractor who can't/won't work is get rid and do it fast, if you don't then not only has he failed as a resource, but you've failed as a manager so you can expect the boot too.

I've often managed a really good friend with absolutely no problems as he's willing and able to work well and he's someone who I've had hired as a team lead on multiple contracts.

Comment

book a 1 to 1 meeting in his diary and have a chat. Tell him what you expect from him. Tell him your professional reputation in the company is on the line as you recommeded and hired him. Next time go to an agency instead. You knew he was a loser from the start. Give him a week and then sack him if he's ignored you. Business is business. Colleagues will give you respect. You sacked your best mate. What will he do next? Sell his gran on e-bay?
        Last edited by rightfluff; 24 February 2011, 17:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Xil3 View Post

I know I'm an idiot
          Possibly (and too nice).
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
            Sack him.
            Sorry to say but I agree. You have to be professional even with mates.
            +50 Xeno Geek Points
            Come back Toolpusher, scotspine, Voodooflux. Pogle
            As for the rest of you - DILLIGAF

Purveyor of fine quality smut since 2005

CUK Olympic University Challenge Champions 2010/2012

Comment

Cut his brake cables.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

Sack him.
                WHS

In that situation, as Disraeli said, "Never complain, and never explain"

Just call him into an office, tell him his contract is being terminated immediately, and walk him to reception. Don't get into any conversation about his shortcomings, and recriminations and so on, or give him any "last chances".

Maybe arrange for security to be hovering about nearby, if the guy is a bit of a firecracker.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

What is more important to you ? your real life, or a job ?how can you possibly consider losing a friend over a lousey stinking job ? This is a guy who would probably give his last spare dollar to you if you were in trouble. Ok so he has no work ethic, maybe treats more like a mate than a boss and is possibly a little disrespectful in front of the junior staff, and possibly(just possibly) he will bring your own professionalism into question with his attitude, but you have to ask yourself one simple question - what type of friend would take the risk of bringing his mate down with him. He doesnt sound much of a mate to me, If I were you I would tell the sad sack loser to get out and get out now. You would be a fool not to sack him

(\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Thanks guys - I agree with everything that was said.

I'll need to have a sit down and really think this through.

I even had a chat with my dad about this (he knows this guy), and he even told me not to hire him... but I did anyways...

Well, I guess I'm learning my lesson now.

Comment

Working...
                    X