• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New great Mac feature

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New great Mac feature

Resume

Pick up exactly where you left off.

If you’ve ever restarted your Mac, you know what’s involved. First you save your work, then close all your apps, then spend valuable time setting everything up again. With Resume, that time-consuming process is a thing of the past. Resume lets you restart your Mac — after a software update, for example — and return to what you were doing. With all your apps back in the exact places you left them. In fact, whenever you quit and relaunch an app, Resume opens it precisely the way you left it. So you never have to start from scratch again.*

Source: Apple - Mac OS X Lion

---

Sounds great! Noticed that *? Well, right at the bottom of the source page in grey text they show this: "*Available with apps that have been developed to work with Lion."

It would have been great feature if it worked with all apps without having to modify them - I am hoping the iPad 2 that will be out next week will be worth my money

Originally posted by AtW View Post
    It would have been great feature if it worked with all apps without having to modify them - I am hoping the iPad 2 that will be out next week will be worth my money
    I know, how shoddy can you get, implementing a feature in a new operating system that requires software to be written to take advantage of the relevant API?

It's almost as shameful as the time Microsoft released Windows 95 yet all those MS-DOS 3.2 programs could still only be operated via a command line, or the bizarre circumstance that programs compiled for the PDP-8/e turned out to be unaware of the opcodes used by VAX CPUs

Comment

OTOH you don't actually have to restart your Mac as often as a PC.
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
        depends on the updates
        I recently noticed one of our SQL Server instances has been up since last June

As for my laptop (windows 7), I just use the sleep function and only restart for updates which need it
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
          Resume

Pick up exactly where you left off.

If you’ve ever restarted your Mac, you know what’s involved. First you save your work, then close all your apps, then spend valuable time setting everything up again.
          To be honest it's not that bad even on my oldish Mac. I have things such as Mail and the calendar set to start automatically, and opening recent documents is just a couple of clicks away (via the Documents popup on the Dock).

On the hardware front the new MacBooks sport Thunderbolt

With 10 Gbps of throughput in both directions, Thunderbolt I/O technology lets you move data to and from peripherals up to 20 times faster than with USB 2.0 and more than 12 times faster than with FireWire 800. Two 10-Gbps channels on the same connector mean you can daisy-chain multiple high-speed devices and a display, without using a hub — and without reducing performance.
          Goodbye Firewire. Goodbye USB 3.0?

Good news on the connectivity front too:

Thunderbolt also provides 10 watts of power to peripherals, so you can tackle workstation-class projects on the go. With PCI Express technology, you can use existing USB and FireWire peripherals — even connect to Gigabit Ethernet and Fibre Channel networks — using simple adapters.

And because Thunderbolt is based on DisplayPort technology, the video standard for high-resolution displays, any Mini DisplayPort display plugs right into the Thunderbolt port. To connect a DisplayPort, DVI, HDMI, or VGA display, just use an existing adapter.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
            A perfect example is an Adobe Reader upgrade demanding a Windows reboot. That really shouldn't be necessary.

OS X updates typically only require a reboot if they affect system components and/or address security issues.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              To be honest it's not that bad even on my oldish Mac. I have things such as Mail and the calendar set to start automatically, and opening recent documents is just a couple of clicks away (via the Documents popup on the Dock).

On the hardware front the new MacBooks sport Thunderbolt

Goodbye Firewire. Goodbye USB 3.0?

Good news on the connectivity front too:
              Thunderbolt: A new way to hack Macs ? The Register
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

A perfect example is an Adobe Reader upgrade demanding a Windows reboot. That really shouldn't be necessary.
                Windows application updates only usually require a reboot if that software is running. I assume that's the case with Adobe Reader.

I always strategically update when it suits me. I can't understand all the people that moan about Windows needing reboots when they've set it to do that.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I'm sure lots of applications do a reboot on update out of laziness - the developers can't be arsed checking if one is necessary so just do it by default.

That's all beside the point though, why are you using adobe just to read PDFs?

You want to use the foxit pdf reader:
                  Foxit Software - Foxit Reader for Windows

Much lighter and faster
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

TBH I'm in the habit of closing everything and shutting down anyway. Years of working in clear desk / clear screen environments.

My iMac is 5 or 6 years old now and and from a cold start it's ready to go in about 15 secs.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                    X